APC Forum

Chinese White Strobe with Bismuth Trioxide

rellim

Mumbles, see my comments on page 1:

https://patents.google.com/patent/CN103601604B/en

White strobe does not work properly with Pb3O4. Organics (binders) and sulfur strongly effect on strobing.

Bi2O3 helps to separate dark and light phases during burning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M768u6nHtjk

Edited by Yus

I'm gonna need to try that formula, maybe with some HCB for green. I wonder what binder? NC? Dex? I can't read russian.

(From youtube)

contents: Ba(NO3)2 - 68% Bi2O3 - 3% MgAl - 26% dextrin - 3% (wallpaper glue)

I am not from Russia. I am from Ukraine! :wub:

Commercial and homemade Al-Mg (1:1) are "chemically" same.

They always contain brittle intermetallic phase, namely, Mg17Al12 (see phase diagram). It melts at 460'C.

Ouch!

I am not from Russia. I am from Ukraine! :wub:

Commercial and homemade Al-Mg (1:1) are "chemically" same.

They always contain brittle intermetallic phase, namely, Mg17Al12 (see phase diagram). It melts at 460'C.

Sorry to offend :)

I don't want to call them urban legends, but perhaps some theories. There is some information out there that some effects, such as dragon eggs, might have been developed with other alloys other than 50:50 by mass, 17:12 by MW. It's too late to dig into it deeply, but I thought there were a few other stable intermetallic alloy ratios. I may be wrong. I was just checking we were talking about the same thing.

It is truth. Alloys with 50-70 wt. % can be used in draggon eggs comp. But as-prepared 1:1 alloy is most brittle.

dc99bd263c5a.png

• 5 months later...

I found a Russian video on Youtube demonstrating this strobe formulation:

Ba(NO3)2 68 AlMg .26 Bi2O3 3 Binder 3

I made a few sample stars with -200 + 320 MgAl and it does indeed give brilliant white flashes. Does anyone know what the effect of Bismuth Trioxide is with this formulation? Could it be effectively added to other strobe compositions?

Video at

Yes, all it will do is slow the strobe rate down - like in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M768u6nHtjk

Edited by Mixer

• 1 month later...

I added +5 parlon and +4.5 Kperch and get mighty good green flashes. I left out the 3 binder and just dampened with MEK to pump. Screen cut didn't work so great because there isn't enough parlon to make good patty. Sr nitrate gives good red at .55 which preserves oxygen balance.

Rellim, i am following your experiments with intrest. My experiments involve AP, perchlorate or nitrate strobe rockets. They all are utilizing sulfates as a secondary high temp oxidizer to generate the flashover pop.

Your experiments with the bismuth formulas parallel mine. I plan on trying to modify your formula for use with strobe rockets.

It took a bit of adjusting but I've managed to use a variation of this formula to make strobe rockets. The origional formula had a sporadic strobe rates but by adding a little extra busmuth and 25% galcit fuel it all came together.