APC Forum

Help Problem blue stars.

LukasMKVL13

A few months ago I'm having problems with the composition of blue stars, something is going wrong the stars do not turn blue they turn white. The composition I am using is Veline Blue with copper oxide. Can anybody help me?

I am replacing Parlon for PVC, Red gum for Phenolic Resin

Edited by LukasMKVL13

Good blues are difficult.

Look through the blue formulations published and see which ones use only ingredients that you can source, Substitutions often cause issues with blues. Veline is a very good system which can be mixed to produce mixed colours, but the blue is notably weaker that the other colours.

http://www.thegreenman.me.uk/pfp/stars.html#Blue%20organic%20I

is one web presence of an old list of comps, look for one that's possible for you

My preferences from that list have been the two Pihko formulations using perc (didn't have AP )

Edited by Arthur

Good blues are difficult.

Look through the blue formulations published and see which ones use only ingredients that you can source, Substitutions often cause issues with blues. Veline is a very good system which can be mixed to produce mixed colours, but the blue is notably weaker that the other colours.

http://www.thegreenman.me.uk/pfp/stars.html#Blue%20organic%20I

is one web presence of an old list of comps, look for one that's possible for you

My preferences from that list have been the two Pihko formulations using perc (didn't have AP )

Ok, thankss

Phenolic blue is my go to blue now. It was designed to use the resin and gives a blue as nice as the Spanish blue.

Guess it would help to post the formula.

post-20116-0-31571700-1532890675_thumb.png

Guess it would help to post the formula.

Have you tested this composition yet? how was it?

Edited by LukasMKVL13

• 3 months later...

I have recently tested "Lancaster ammon blue" and it works really well. Other blue and green compositions with NH4ClO4 are also great.

On the other hand, compositions containing PVC as a Cl donor were always problematic, maybe I'm using bad PVC...

Mates, i wouldn't write off your PVC just yet. The problem is most likely your testing method. Testing comps in powdered form results in a much hotter combustion temperature. Blues generally require a much lower combustion temp to display properly. Make completed stars before testing to get an accurate representation of the result.

Another suggestion is to test them in the night sky, often star comps require the added oxygen and cooling effect of flying thru the air to get a good result none more so than blues or glitters. A simple star gun does the trick and gives added info pertaining to the effectiveness of the prime.