APC Forum

Electrical Notice

dynomike1

This is with a recent experience i had with a trip wire. Wasn't anything tripping my wire, so i went to investigate. The first thing i did was unhook my battery, then i started tightening my wire up after i noticed it had stretched, during this my switch tripped a couple of times and i reset it. I tightened it some more and the next time a 2.5" shell went off. Luckily it had laid out there and sweated on the inside and dampened the powder so the stars never reached me. Under all cumstances all ways short wires out. I didnt and new better.

• Like 1

Wires that lay stretched out, may build up an internal current, which may trigger detonators and similar.

Capacitive discharge. If water gets into the insulation, it could make a saltwater capacitor. Even without water, two wires layed next to each other can store an electrical impulse. The best solution is to place a high resistance resistor between the leads, this will bleed off any residual energy and wont interfere with it's intended use.
  • Like 1

Also, there is the very slight chance of vehicles or overflying helicopters inducing a current in the leads via static charge buildup.

There have been instances noted of choppers setting off Claymore mines that didn't have the leads shorted together.

• Like 1

Any two parallel metal plates have the ability to collect a parasitic capacitance charge if they are electrically isolated.

On a separate note, we would need further info on this tripwire firing system. A schematic would help, there could be a possibility of electrical shorts due to wet wires and improper grounding.