APC Forum

Whistle rockets in a stinger missile tube

NeighborJ

I've been tinkering around with homemade rocket tooling made to utilize the stinger missile tubes.

One of the problems I've been having is the lack of room for a delay. After several attempts I've achieved the slowest burning whistle I can make and it all fits in the 1 tube diameter above the spindle.

That is the longest one yet and I'm content with the results. Here is how I made the delay fuel:https://youtu.be/LGFF8C78r8Q

post-20510-0-47128500-1527546834_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

That was long, and sounded great! My slow whistle kept going out, until I added a bit of charcoal to it. I notice you use 2% RIO instead of the usual 1%. Just curious why. I see a LWS on the horizon :)

The original formula called for 2% RIO and 6% vaseline. IMO this is too much vaseline unless you have a extremely intimate mix. The excess vaseline will help with consolidation during pressing, however it will also inhibit the RIO from working as normal. I will go out on a limb and assume the 2% RIO was added to increase its effectiveness.

From experimenting with other whistle fuels, I've noted that RG, which I used to replace the RIO, had a smoothing effect on the whistle burn, it also did not increase the burn rate. The original formula seems to be balanced at the lower limit of burn speed and optimal sound. By making the modifications I did, the fuel now burns even slower while still making a good sound.

I'm not done with the modifications yet, i plan to experiment with adding a few extra percent oxidizer and trying other phlegmatizers to up the volume.

The addition of charcoal would have a similar effect as the RG but I believe it works thru a different mechanism.

Edited by NeighborJ

Testing other whistle formulas on this tooling is getting fun. Very fast and very loud, I'm tinkering with the thrust fuel for now and will return to the whistle delay at another time.

I wish I had a test stand so I could provide data.

Was this a core burner?

Yes, it is the core shown in the first post. Real close to a stinger missile spindle.

I tried using my hottest whistle fuel in this stinger tube tooling. It was a RUD with both the pulpy tubes and the NEPT, I guess this spindle has its limitations. I can't say I'm surprised, that fuel is designed for use in coreless, nozzleless, whistle endburners and has proven to be too hot in any coreburner except on BP endburner spindles.

• 3 weeks later...

You ought to be Turkey hunting.

Sounded pretty good.

Edited by dynomike1