APC Forum

Eye tooth for old XP with ISA slot computer

lloyd

ISA interface cards for robots. Lovely. Yeah, i figured this was the case. I service a similar system, for a plasma cutter. By service, i mean i swapped the floppy drive for a USB device emulating floppies, and just hope the system doesn't implode on it self one day. At least this system is in a massive console "case", that you have to at the very least run over with a forklift to even dent.

Heh! This one was in such an enclosure, also. But they took it out to 'clean it', and while it was on the floor in front of the machine, a guy ran over it!

Go fig! There are a lot of things you can do, but you cannot fix "stupid"!

Lloyd

I have an old computer with XP on it is from the early 2000 s but I have no idea about the isa card you are talking about how can I tell if it has one?

All...

A friend FOUND me one on Ebay. It's guaranteed operational, has multiple ISA slots, and XP-Pro already-installed. It was also about HALF the price I was going to spend on only a MoBo...

Thanks, everyone!

Lloyd

• Like 2

I have an old computer with XP on it is from the early 2000 s but I have no idea about the isa card you are talking about how can I tell if it has one?

Generally speaking, these interface cards were VERY proprietary. Unless you scrapped a robot from the same supplier, there would be next to no chance that you had a card. Which is where the nightmares keep having about the plasma cutter i "service" start. At least this supplier still is in business, and you CAN order a serviceable system to upgrade the robot with a new control system. But at a price that just isn't competitive compared to simply buying an all new robot, with all the bells and whistles.

MrB,

YEP! This was a proprietary controller card, and NOBODY except an owner of one of these machines would have one. Even the vendor won't sell them, and nearly all the techs are out of spares.

Lloyd

Good to see you got it all sorted Lloyd.

Cheers.

Yep... received the CPU yesterday afternoon, and it fired right up on the first power-up. For $140 plus shipping, it was a good deal.

Lloyd