APC Forum

Show me your BP presses.

vinny1892

Hi id like to see everyones Bp puck press and their corning setup. Just looking for different ideas setups and the like. Post away thanks 😃

Assuming that everyone uses pressing and corning isn't necessarily correct. Possibly some people use a wet granulating process.

If you are an amateur, and do not have big projects in mind, I see it totally unnecessary. I make 2 or 3 shells per month, on festive days, I make between 7 and 10 shells. Granulating bp by hand is effective and cheap

I've lifted up to 64lb (12" cylinder) with screen-granulated black powder. Others have lifted over 200lb 16" cylinders with their powder.

The Dr X group screen granulates their powder. Really, if you're making a lot of it, corning tends to be the slow way to go.

I prefer to make a damp ball of powder and use a cheese grater, I have preferred cheese grates for larger and smaller grains! Then it's sieve out when dry. If the moisture content is low enough then I can grate about a pound a minute by hand.

Noted ill stick with screening it then and rig something up for when i need to make some for my old flintlock pistol and cannon...

Just make pulverone, you'll not improve it by pressing it. Lower density BP burns faster.

Just make pulverone, you'll not improve it by pressing it. Lower density BP burns faster.

Consistency?

75 - 15 - 10

KNO3 - Your Best Charcoal - Sulfur ( sublimed or otherwise )

The better the charcoal the quicker the burn! The type of wood plays a very important role.

Ball mill it, the finer the quicker the burn!

Add 5% dextrin.

Add 7% water by weight, roll into a tight ball by hand and grate through a flour sieve or a small cheese grater.

dry

done

Edited by Simoski
  • Like 1

Consistency?

Small grains, 1mm works good for life charge, 1/3 mm for small arms, flintlocks etc. larger grains ( up to 2mm ) for cannons

Noted ill stick with screening it then and rig something up for when i need to make some for my old flintlock pistol and cannon...

For small quantities ,you can use a manually operated, ceramic coffee grinder. Very consistent results once you have the feel for it. I have one like this and works very well: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Coffee-Grinder-Manual-Ceramic-Core-Burr-Mill-Hand-Stainless-Crank-Steel-Portable/132454744380?var=431799142126&epid=0&hash=item1ed6eb013c:m:mp6-LevYA6E5l_MGoJJtuRA

Simoski- or anybody that also knows- you mentioned red iron oxide somewhere before in relation to black powder. Do you have any more information about that? Thanks.

• Like 1

I don't press a lot of BP, but I like to multipurpose. Large comet pumps make great BP puck presses. You can press up a whole stack of pucks at once by using aluminum spacers. You can press up probably 1-2 lbs at a time with a 4" comet press, assuming you have a suitable press. You probably need a 12 ton or larger press. Smaller comet pumps also work, just have less capacity, but also require less force.

Corned powder has it's uses. For one, it's denser and thus provides optimal power where space is a factor. The consistency is better. It also has better flow properties.

I'd absolutely suggest against using a coffee grinder to make BP, even if manual. That's an accident waiting to happen.

• Like 1

Even with ceramic disks, Mumbles? In the one I use (from time to time, I usually just screen the BP) there isn't any part that can make sparks. It's all stainless and ceramic. I seen it used to make BP for muzzle loading firearms.

Simoski- or anybody that also knows- you mentioned red iron oxide somewhere before in relation to black powder. Do you have any more information about that? Thanks.

From amateur rocketry one learns that iron oxides are decomposition catalysts of potassium nitrate. ( strangely for potassium chlorate too, perhaps its the interaction of the iron and potassium ) anyhow... add red iron oxide, or yellow to improve your BP burn rate... it lowers the ignition temperature in a similar fashion to sulphur.

I add 2% by weight.

Edited by Simoski

Talking about charcoals I contacted Dan Creagan and got his permission to publish his burn rate tests on multiple charcoals ( as long as I credit him )... Thanks Dan

Look here for the whole story .. http://www.creagan.net/fireworks/charcoal_tests.html

gallery_21479_454_163669.png

Edited by Simoski