APC Forum

Hydraulic press

Tim1877

Just wondering if anyone has built their own hydraulic press and how difficult it would be to make plus the approximate price

https://m.harborfreight.com/4-ton-heavy-duty-portable-hydraulic-equipment-kit-62115.html

I built one out of this. Later I bought a separate 10 ton ram for it. 4 sticks of allthread with steel plates top and bottom make up the rest of the press.

It's nice because it is pumped remotely. The lexan blast shield is just bolted to one side. A simple bottle jack works too and is cheaper but it doesn't get you as far away.

Edited by NeighborJ

I was actually talking about an electric powered pump hydraulic press I'm fairly mechanical so putting it together wouldn't be a problem
  • Like 1

Yes Bigmark, portapowers automatically return.

HF does make a pneumatic or an electric pump for the portapower rams. I've never tried one but it would likely need fitted with a pressure regulator to set the force.

You are never going to make the hydraulic ram and cylinder the machining is rather more accurate than most home machinists produce. (If you can then that's your forté)

Putting a car jack into a frame should be simple enough with two or four lengths of studding/allthread for any competent fitter. Getting power operation is nicer and more complex, getting remote power operation is even better and a bit more complex.

The prices are likely out of date, but this should give you a better idea what you're looking at. It's just one design out of many. The most expensive parts are going to be the ram itself and the power pack.

rocket press.pdf

• Like 1