APC Forum

Whistle rocket

Tim1877

Just wondering how many increments you guys press above the spindle I'm using 70-30 benzo whistle on 4 oz tooling tubes 3.5 inches long

Id go with the standard 1 tube ID minimum above the spindle + delay comp. You can substitute some of that ID above with more delay if necessary. But minimum press above should be one ID.

I usually put the delay on my headers via time fuse so i just go straight 1 ID. Others like to have tails during their delay so they would go ¼ ID fuel and ¾ ID delay comp (more for longer delay)

What do you use for delay on whistle rockets?

Hi Tim, the delay for whistles doesn't get much more fancy than adding some Ti. It will continue to sound out while producing a thick column of sparks. Edited by NeighborJ

I do ½ way BP then ½ again whistle, then finish with flash.

I do ½ way BP then ½ again whistle, then finish with flash.

what does the BP do I know what the flash is for?

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the BP but I want my whistles to...well whistle while they work, all the way. I'm shure the BP/whistle would give a short whistle at the end and provide a possibility to add some other effects but those effects won't carry thru all the way to the end.

I've seen whistles with large MgAl or rising effect comets attached which can also provide a break from the same old same old.

I add 60 mesh Ti into the delay portion but use the same fuel all the way through so I get the good scream.

I add 60 mesh Ti into the delay portion but use the same fuel all the way through so I get the good scream.

Im new to the whistle game in fact last night was my first one but I love the sound and they way they fly On my BP rockets I usually just use the same comp for the delay as the rest of the rocket. I was just amazed at how much more powerful the whistle rocket was.

And, we got another one hooked. Hehehe, evil cackle.

Im on my 3rd whistle rocket an boy am i hooked like a 5 dollar crack head i keep on chasing my next rocket fix its in my dreams my thoughts and every waking moment

So now I'm having trouble getting my rockets to fly strait they go up about 100 feet then make a sweeping cure slightly right then back over my head pretty much horizontal and fairly straight. They are 4 oz whistle 70-30-1-3 potassium benzo with red iron oxide and 3% mineral oil pressed to 8800psi on a PTF gauge they have an 18 in 1/4x1/4 stick seem perfectly balanced they are launched perfectly vertical.

I'm willing to bet that all the curved flight happens during the delay. Mine are usually done pushing by 100ft. At that point it doesn't take much wind or stick warpage to send them off coarse. A header weight usually solves that issue.

That is the one thing I haven't tried I just put a couple a grams of stick buster up top,I thought the delay was just for basically coasting these rockets seem to go pretty far after the curve just the wrong direction.

Nice, screaming good. That slight hook to the left right out of the tube is torque flex. It can be fixed by adding another stick on the opposite side of the motor. Those whistle motors always seem to have too much power for one stick.

So would that be another stick the same size or two smaller ones?

Pretty sure he means two sticks, the same size, one opposite the other.

Yeah both opposing sticks should be the same length but they can be shorter. There isn't a need to balance the rocket because they act more like fins.

Yeah both opposing sticks should be the same length but they can be shorter. There isn't a need to balance the rocket because they act more like fins.

Here is one with two sticks.

• Like 1

Perfectly strait, nice.

What do you think of my fuel it is my very first batch,I used Caleb's method from his YouTube video. I'm open for all comments good and bad,I'm just trying my best to get better at this new found hobby.