APC Forum

1/2 inch BP nozzled/core tooling

Cartmann

Best price for 1/2 inch BP nozzle/core burning rocket tooling?

I have seen a various number of site that seem to charge a little too much.

Please point me it the right direction.

Thank You

Cartmann

i was fortunate enough to be able to machine my own set however, ben Smith (firesmith) and Caleb (Woodys rocks) sell high quality tooling for good prices.

Woodys tools are well made and a good price.

ben Smith hard coats all his tooling. so they're a little more expensive but will worth the price. he also has sales on his tooling so you can keep an eye out for that and get them a little cheaper.

those are the only two I've had experience with.

Edited by CrossOut

another thing, don't be afraid to start it with 1# rockets! they are just as easy to press or hand ram and they are a little more common amongst builders so more people will be able to share notes. they'll be able to lift a 3" or light 4" shell no problem and don't require a whole lot more materials.

i also noticed that quality ¾" tubes are more available than ½"

Edited by CrossOut

I would also highly recommend going the route of 1lb (3/4" ID) instead of 4oz(1/2" ID). The price differences are minimal, but with 1lb motors being by far the most popular size, tubes are typically always available. Plus, the building time for each size is about the same, but the 1lb motors do offer pretty impressive performance. Even simple motors can hit 1/2 mile in altitude.

Feel free to ask any additional questions. I also have tutorials on my site at www.firesmithtools.com