APC Forum

Making a cake with hdpe mortor and fuse burn through

Cartmann

I have recently bought some hdpe mortars and some cardboard tubes.

But the dilemma is that the mortar clearance is too small to fit the cardboard tubes and the fuse.

If I drill a hole just above the plug how many times can I use the mortars?

I know the speed of the fuse will effect it.

I have various speed of fuse on hand.

Slower fuse will melt the drilled hole more and fast fuse would be less.

But how bad?

Anyone have some EXP on this?

The faster fuse would not be the timing I was looking for.

Thanks

cartmann

Sleaving the fuse with a few turns of aluminum foil should help. Ive heard of using metal rivet as a sleeve but to me it's a projectile waiting to happen. I'd think the foil would be safer.

Are you trying to have multiple mines (in individual cardboard tubes) within the mortar? That seems like overkill--I always just bind my cardboard tubes together with masking tape to make a nice cake with the fuse threaded through it. No need to contain them in something else.

Protip: make sure you tape in the middle tube of the 7-shot cake. Ask me how I know...

Edited by cevmarauder

Sleaving the fuse with a few turns of aluminum foil should help. Ive heard of using metal rivet as a sleeve but to me it's a projectile waiting to happen. I'd think the foil would be safer.

My first thought was also rivets, but had the same concern of projectiles.

Alum foil and the other option of alum tape, was inconceivable at that time.

Thanks

cartmann

Are you trying to have multiple mines (in individual cardboard tubes) within the mortar? That seems like overkill--I always just bind my cardboard tubes together with masking tape to make a nice cake with the fuse threaded through it. No need to contain them in something else.

Protip: make sure you tape in the middle tube of the 7-shot cake. Ask me how I know...

No.

1 shell/mine per mortar.

I am going to build two 24 shot shot racks.

Thanks

cartmann

Why not run quickmatch down the inside side of the mine, to the lift charge, and tamp everything in tight? As if it was a shell.

Then you can run the quickmatch to the center of the rack, and tie them in along a length of visco or time fuse at the intervals you want them to fire.

Edited by cevmarauder

I don't know why I replied shell/mine.

I was only interested in shells.

But the thought of 1 1/4 mines

has really got me thinking on another effect for my show.

thanks

cartmann

It wasn't you, it was me. For some reason my mind went straight to "mines" when you said "cake". So you're using the cardboard tubes to make canister shells.

duh-huh. I must have been decaffeinated.

You could try putting a large pop rivet where you want the fuse to go--use aluminum rivets, obviously--and then knock out the remaining core with a punch if it doesn't fall out on its own. You'll need one with large enough diameter to fit your fuse through--you can also experiment with smaller ones and then drilling it out. Use a reinforcing washer on the inside to take stress off the hole in the HDPE.

If you use an aluminum rivet, even if everything goes titsup, it won't fly very far nor have enough weight to cause injury.