APC Forum

special FX landmine

shadopyro

Ok, it seems that the new forum doesn't have an obvious section for stuff like special FX used in amateur films and stuff. So i guess i'll start a thread:

has anyone experimented with devices like simulated landmines, fireballs, and maybe other effects containing pyroitechnics in some way?

i'm thinking of making "just for laughs" short film with a few friends, and ive been experimenting with landmines made from paper, which throw confetti everywhere. the two that ive made have worked extremely well! i've just uploaded this video on google video (video.google.com), though not sure if it'll be accepted.

if anyone is interested, i can post some plans of the mine. :D

p.s. if this is in an unappropriate place then please move this thread or just remove it or whatever. ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/pyr...5/actionman.jpg

Thats a picture of my brother running from a small explosion (I had poured a bunch of stars and junk I didn't want in a tube to get rid of it all at once). It was more show than power.... It lit up so bright at night that you could see him running away (he's actually farther away than he looks). I kept it because I thought it was a cool picture!

Whoa! you made that film?? im impressed!

lol your brother looks panicked, heh heh!

Ok about the plans, i'll upload them as soon as i get this damn scanner software fixed, and when google video uploads the video of the test i'll send a link. :D

Ok cant get the scanner to work so ive just drawn some rubbishy plans on paint (sorry for bad quality lol!) and heres a picture of the finished product.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d35/pyre...ndmineplans.jpg

(You might have to save the mine plans and enlarge it to see the writing)

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d35/pyre666/DSCI0002.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Any of you guys been experiment with bullet effects or artillery, sort of like a strafing run from plans i have tried before and gives a cool effect have any of you?

Any of you guys been experiment with bullet effects or artillery, sort of like a strafing run from plans i have tried before and gives a cool effect have any of you?

I recommend you take a look at the thread mumbles posted - most if not all the videos should still be active. The problem with artillery is the size, power, and amount of explosive used for each effect. Gets real expensive very fast. The explosions we did for the film were purposely scaled down to mortars for practicality. There is much more danger associated with larger explosions as well. As for strafing, that will take some experimenting, but I imagine enough scaled-down charges connected to a nail board will work. Hollywood does this by means of compressed air, but I've just found such devices to be an expensive pain in the butt for small scale, low-budget films. Only time I've used compressed air was to simulate the tripping of an underwater booby trap. Because of the actor's extreme proximity (about a foot), an explosive was out of the quesion.