APC Forum

Hardening of a Terracotta Pot

SKC

Hello,

This might seem little eccentric but as I'm concentrating on terracotta pot fountain so it's a generalized question.

I need to strengthen the pot in course of it's making at potter level.

While the potter is making an earthen dough, should he mix some amount of sand to further harden it?

If yes what should be the proportion?

Should the potter burn pots immediately after little drying or its wet or make it fully dried under the Sun before putting it into a boiler?

Should the potter mix some amount of Mica powder while making the dough?

My objective is to make the pots sturdy enough to withstand excessive heat & composition combustion pressure.

I've limited access to those skilled potters as they stay hundreds of kilometers away from my town & their pots are costlier.

Rather this will enrich my knowledge & I need to guide my local potter.

If members share their idea, I'll be more than obliged.

Regards,

SKC

• 2 weeks later...

I think you'll be better off with using a convolute cardboard tube insert into a pot shaped to accept one. I wouldn't trust terra cotta to withstand the pressure unless it was ridiculously thick...and that's gonna make for hella shrapnel if it fails catastrophically.

Remember, you have to ram or press the composition in, so that's going to be significant shock. I'm not sure a pot could withstand the loading, much less the firing.