APC Forum

mothballs and black rolling smoke

memo

Does anyone have a formula for using mothballs to make a black smoke shell.

memo

The moth balls in this case are a source of Naphthalene. Naphthalene is no longer on the market in Europe due to it's suspected health risks. Do remember that Naphthalene naturally sublimes slowly at room temperature so a product containing it will need sealing in a plastic or metal can. Black smokes in commerce have short shelf lives simply because one component sublimes then the excess fuel is no longer in excess and the device turns into a flame pot.

see

http://www.thegreenman.me.uk/pfp/smoke.html#Black

Edited by Arthur

I have read that the movie industry uses naphthalene for for the huge orange fireballs that always accompany explosions in movies. I once tried making a cremora with granulated naphthalene mothballs, but I made some serious errors in the construction and it was very underwhelming (It was very early in my pyro days and mistakes are bound to happen.). I never tried another one simply because I didn't have any more naphthalene... until now. Once the weather becomes more hospitable for pyro work, I plan on trying it again.

Edited by MadMat

Here are a few formulas I have, besides the Shimizu ones that Arthur linked to. I really cannot vouch for any of these formulas and I'm not sure how well any of these would work as actual stars as I've never really tried. A lot of smoke formulas work a little better when made as pill box stars or perforated inserts filled with granular compositions.

From PyroSkitz on UKPS. Obtained on 8/25/2010
Magnesium powder – 19%
Hexachloroethane – 60%
Napthalene – 21%
From Wonderboy in the APC Chat on 1/20/2014
(in reference to the above formula)
Yeah I have a similar one, calls for Anthracene though. The black smoke I've use was KClO4-Napthalene-sulfur 56-33-11. I just used it in a loose pile in a cup though, so I'm not sure how it'd work pressed in a tube
From FlaMtnBkr on Fireworking. Posted 10/10/2014
I looked some more and found a third one in my notes but looking at them I don't think they are all meant for stars. I believe this first one came from Ken Miller:
Black Smoke
60 KClO3
40 Napthalene
+4% Antimony sulfide
Blend Napthalene and antimony thru 20 mesh screen. Screen chlorate by itself thru 60 or 80 mesh screen. Mix everything 2x thru 20 mesh screen. Mixed with NCL it burns better. Press into tube with 2x ID left empty.
Black Smoke #2
10 KClO3
6 Napthalene
3.5 Antimony sulfide
1 charcoal
1 starch
I would assume the starch could be dextrin or SGRS? It also has a friction sensitive warning.
Black Smoke #3
20-30 KClO3
50 Ammonium chloride
20 Napthalene
0-10 charcoal

ALL smokes rely entirely on incomplete combustion, it's how they work. The design of the device is critical as well as the design of the compound. Especially with Naphthalene the final airtight (storage) sealing of the device is important too.

Edited by Arthur

Purely speculative, but... Would encasing the final product in wax help keeping the naphthalene from evaporating?

Here are a few formulas I have, besides the Shimizu ones that Arthur linked to. I really cannot vouch for any of these formulas and I'm not sure how well any of these would work as actual stars as I've never really tried. A lot of smoke formulas work a little better when made as pill box stars or perforated inserts filled with granular compositions.

From PyroSkitz on UKPS. Obtained on 8/25/2010

http://www.pyrosociety.org.uk/forum/topic/5552-interesting-sfx-suitable-for-beginners/

Magnesium powder 19%

Hexachloroethane 60%

Napthalene 21%

From Wonderboy in the APC Chat on 1/20/2014

(in reference to the above formula)

Yeah I have a similar one, calls for Anthracene though. The black smoke I've use was KClO4-Napthalene-sulfur 56-33-11. I just used it in a loose pile in a cup though, so I'm not sure how it'd work pressed in a tube

From FlaMtnBkr on Fireworking. Posted 10/10/2014

I looked some more and found a third one in my notes but looking at them I don't think they are all meant for stars. I believe this first one came from Ken Miller:

Black Smoke

60 KClO3

40 Napthalene

+4% Antimony sulfide

Blend Napthalene and antimony thru 20 mesh screen. Screen chlorate by itself thru 60 or 80 mesh screen. Mix everything 2x thru 20 mesh screen. Mixed with NCL it burns better. Press into tube with 2x ID left empty.

Black Smoke #2

10 KClO3

6 Napthalene

3.5 Antimony sulfide

1 charcoal

1 starch

I would assume the starch could be dextrin or SGRS? It also has a friction sensitive warning.

Black Smoke #3

20-30 KClO3

50 Ammonium chloride

20 Napthalene

0-10 charcoal

That Black Smoke #3 looks like something that I would not want to store or really make, for some reason. Hygroscopic Ammonium chloride + Potassium Chlorate = double displacement to Potassium Chloride + Ammonium Chlorate!

(with an organic fuel to boot.)

Is it just me?

Edited by PeteyPyro

Potassium Chlorate is the least soluble compound between ammonium chloride, potassium chlorate, ammonium chlorate, and potassium chloride. Double displacement only occurs when minimum solubility favors a change.

there area couple of formulas that interest me. now the fun begins