Angy Pink Glitter

Potassium Nitrate 56

Charcoal 10

Sulphur 22

MgAl 14 - 325 mesh 50/50

SrCO3 5

Dextrine 5

Must be made in comet 6-10% moisture added 30% acetone 70% wather

Burn pinkish with a medium short tail of big glitters. Born from Winokur 2 atoxic project :).

• Like 3

You are right but I use acetone or alcohol for breaking surface tension of water, speed up the evaporation and reduce the water content. So I think using acetone is better than alcohol because it's boiling point is lower. All that is made because it's essential that glitters star drying in Less time possible avoiding interaction between magnalium or alluminium with nitrates that will render the glittering ineffective.

No I have not. I don't like to record fireworks, it's cool but Lost some in the philosophy of the Pyro. Edited by kingkama
  • Like 1

Ok, so I purchased some strontium carbonate today from a ceramics supplier.

The reason is to create this composition. However, there are some warnings I've read: "should never be used in mixtures incompatible with sulfides such as chlorate based mixtures".

No chlorates involved, so I think I'm ok to go?

Yes no chlorate I try ever to don't use if it possible, the reason for the advise is in the presence of barium and strontium sulfate, but, they usually are insoluble so these advice is only for a probability that something happens. For enhancing the glittering try to substitute part of magnalium with spherical alluminium 325 mesh. I hope you like the results.

Stay green.

If anyone makes this please get video and review it. Seems to be a simple, inexpensive comp.

I intend to give it a go, but unfortunately it won't be for many months. I'm sure some of you 4th July fanatics will get there before me.

Ok, so I made a small comp. Not well tested but the stars are now dry. Sorry no video.

Very Ferocious, Noisy and Angry indeed!!!

Pink? well not really - but definitely "pinkish" compared to my standard gold looking glitters. My version of the comp burned way too fast - Lately I've been having issues with charcoals and glitters. I did use a mix of my fast charcoal/slow charcoal 50/50. But this comp was . . . whoah!!!. :)

A small 1/16" star tested via the "stix flicka" method was consumed at around 6ft into the air, and I can verify the short tail and lots of glitter indeed. :) Very nice.

Soon I hope to test this in a star gun with the 5/8th (15mm) comets that I made. I'm sure it will look really nice.

Also I think it's worth try this composition using lampblack/carbon black substituting the charcoal.

But real Pink? well not that I can see at this stage.

Edited by stix
  • Like 2

I wonder if you use barium carbonate if you would get a angry green, I guess it is worth a try

Barium carbonate make whitish orange glitter I tried. Stix try substitute half magnalium with aluminum 325 spherical that will increase burning time and glittering. Yes the color as you sad is pinkish real pink or red or green or blue glitter are hard or impossible to make. Letme know the results.

• 4 months later...
Chinese red glitter consist of BP like matrix comet and grains containing KClO4 35%, SrSO4 30%, Mg 30% and binder 5%. Stars with above mentioned comp can be find as core glittering stars in many commercial display shells.
  • Like 1

Wow, I always thought the Chinese red glitters were AP based? I got some formulas for those but will probably never fool with AP based stuff, at least not for a couple more years.

That's really cool if it can be done BP base, I've never seen that before. Now, how much BP to start with? Also never had a reason to stock SrSO4 but if this really works then you can bet your butt I'm getting some. I'm guessing the 70 to 75 percent range of BP to 'glitter mix' is usually a good starting point, but the fact that there's perchlorate in this formula kinda throws my book out the window....

You wouldn't happen to know about how much BP to use by chance would you? Or is that 'kinda top secret' info. I totally understand if so, no problemo brutha!

Just went to Shelton fireworks in Alabama on my way back from Florida and got some different blue fountains, just to see if they got some good AP or nitrocellulose stars. Didn't see any red glitters but I also didn't ask or look terribly hard. Did a quick grab'n'go, ya know. Sometimes people hit up rest stops on the way home... sometimes they hit up fireworks stands. Sorry off topic I had to share. :)

Re-reading your post already, I'm seeing BP matrix and "GRAINS" containing... xxxx

Does this mean that you granulate said "glitter mix" separately and then blend that with lightly granulated BP?

Normally in BP base mixes, it's loosely granulated (as with alcohol only no binder) and then just mixed rough with the sulfur/metal/bicarb mix, so the glitter mix is not granulated beforehand, only the BP.

Am I reading into this too much already? haha

Edited by PhoenixRising
  • Like 1

In case there isn't a reply here: It seems around 20 percent red glitter mix to "charcoal comet" would be the preferred ratio. (for a charcoal-red glitter comet)

Best bet IMO (for an experiment) would be to use c6 or c8 formula and add very small palon-bound, red-nitrate strobe stars. Make a patty with acetone and cut it up real small, prime the bits, add to charcoal comp and press. Of course if this worked you could switch out with barium and do green glitter too then.

2 potential problems I see are #1) The strobe 'bits' breaking up as they are pressed into a comet ( and/or prime getting knocked off) and #2) The strobe bits possibly being consumed by the flame envolope of the charcoal/BP matrix. An addition of 1 or 2 percent strontium carbonate in the outer layer of prime could take care of problem number 2 should it arise, but since nitrate strobes tend to burn slow this may not be a problem. I'm thinking if the strobe bits are cut small enough they will be strong enough to survive being pressed into a comet matrix. Last parlon stars I made were 'kind of' strong although you could crack them with a bit of force.

Perhaps priming the strobe bits with phenolic resin/hexamine would help strengthen them to survive pressing?

And yet another possible solution if the comets aren't pressing right: Use a stronger binder (gum arabic?) or more binder (10 percent dextrin?) and press with less pressure as to not break the strobe bits.

Okay that's enough dreaming for now. We all know where this thread is ultimately going.... .. as much as I want to experiment (fail) I feel like someone's already tried all this (failed at this) before. :)

Edited by PhoenixRising
  • Like 1