APC Forum

Brass powder?

PyroDanTheMan

I have found a ready supply of course brass powder at very cheap price.

Was woundering if anyone has tried to make blue or any other compositions with brass? If anyone wants to know the source, it's the key cutting machine at the local hardware store! More experienced pyros may have tried this all ready. I will appreciate any wisdom you would like to share. If this posted in the wrong section please move it.

Mike Swisher was asked about this and only found one comp that called for brass powder. It was published in the mid 1700s and Mr. Swisher stated that the brass powder (along with glass powder) was completely useless to the composition.

• 7 months later...

I've used plain copper metal for blues, so brass or bronze should work. Likely there is also tin, lead and nickel in there too but who cares.

Lots of old pyro recepies had some really odd ingredients. Some like mercury salts are right out of favour now, but one UK compounder used to add 5 - 20% of wood meal to most comps -purely for cheapness. Several of the "odd" ingredients once used were the scraps from other places of work not a made product ingredient.

• 8 months later...

I've used plain copper metal for blues, so brass or bronze should work. Likely there is also tin, lead and nickel in there too but who cares.

Lots of old pyro recepies had some really odd ingredients. Some like mercury salts are right out of favour now, but one UK compounder used to add 5 - 20% of wood meal to most comps -purely for cheapness. Several of the "odd" ingredients once used were the scraps from other places of work not a made product ingredient.

Arthur,

I just got a few hundreds gram of copper powder. Would you mind to share the blue compositions you used with elemental copper?

I recently tried " NX system", but disappointing....

Thanks in advance,

• 2 months later...

Which "blue" did you make in the NX system? I see that there are 2 of them. That is the next system I was going to try since I did Veline system first. Any other issues with the NX that you could shed light on?