APC Forum

Gerb Tooling And Paper Tubes

Flognaw123

Hello guys I am looking around the web to find a gerb tool with the spindle and rammer and paper craft tubing but I cannot seem to find the size I am looking for. I am looking for 3/4". Does Ned Gorskis website ( Fireworking.com) sell the gerb tooling set and craft paper tubing? And is it worth subscribing? I just started pursuing into pyrotechnics and for my first project I want to start making fountains. I am looking to buy thick walled 3/4" paper tubing. I was looking at other websites but I couldnt find the tube sizing and gerb tooling set I was looking for. Thanks in return.

Well If you want to spend $ then the site has a lot to offer ., but there is a ton of skilled pyros on this site willing to help for free.

There is no perfect or "correct" size for fountains . So it kinda depends on what is available and cheap. I have rolled my own tubes in past for fountains and other less aggressive burning comps . Hobby horse , firefox, skylighter , pyrocreations, and many other sites sell tubes. kitty litter works well as a base plug and a nozzle , ,

Interesting, can you help me with making the paper tubes and for the ramming of the fountains? How do I make a spindle and ramming base for the fountains? Thanks for replying!

Thanks Guys!

Hey Flog,

I have those tooling sets and paper tubes. We tried to make things simple for the beginners.

https://www.woodysrocks.com/store/c43/Beginner_Tooling_%26_Supplies.html

Look through that page. :) Lots of good stuff to get you going.

and you can make your own stuff also.

• Like 1

Yes , as stated those tooling can be made. Just as simple as a wood block with a dowel drilled and glued into it( about a 1/2" tall out of the block as a base) and the rammer can be a dowel or even a Aluminium rod. I say rolling paper tubes can be accomplished with paper store bags , and using the same dowel , add a couple layers of clear packing tape over it (to make the Id of the paper tube accept the tooling) like a AL rod, or wood dowel w/o the tape as the rammer. I would say roll it to about a 1" od and glue ( elmers wood glue ) the last 6" of the paper bag being rolled up on the tube former you made. For gerbs that should be overkill. When dry you can use a pvc pipe cutter (scissor type like at home depot ) to cut the tubes to length by applying a light pressure to the cutter while spinning the tube through it .

Edited by pyrojig
  • Like 1