APC Forum

Suggestions for a fireworking workspace

starxplor

As mentioned in a different thread, I am in the planning stages of a new workshop/shed specifically for fireworking. Here are a few specs I know/think I want and a few questions. If you have answer, comments, or other suggestions, please include them.

Specs:

1) This is a shed sized space, no 50' x 50' space, heh. Something like 10-15' square.

2) Plan for concrete floor with anti-static/anti-slip coating

3) 2 walls with workbench space, 1 wall for tools/future equipment (like a press)

4) Outer door with locks, inner screen door with no latches for use at night without bugs but easy egress in case of emergency. Both open outward.

5) Electric outlets with weather covers to keep sockets clean.

5) Passive air vents to not have to deal with speciality fans for such environments. Can set up a box fan outside the workshop for airflow if an evening is particularly hot and I cannot wait for another day to work.

6) All non-mixed individual chemicals would be stored in this building. Plan to separate things to different sides in case of spills to avoid mixing of things that shouldn't.

6) Current storage shed will have a type 4 indoor magazine for mixed chemical/completed items.

Questions:

1) Since most of my use will be at night, should I bother with windows? It seems they add expense and chance to leak as well as nosey neighbours with binoculars trying to see what is inside. Would they potentially create a pressure release compared to normal walls and is that enough of a reason to be included?

2) Is there any reason not to use normal wood-frame walls with vinyl siding on the outside?

3) Is there a standard better than 'outdoor' for the covered electrical sockets that I should look into?

4) Anything special needed for overhead lights beyond the kind of basic covers you would see in a bathroom/shower?

Will you be using chlorate compounds? Can you have a work area with easy clean bench top and no gaps round the skirting board to catch spilled powders? What is your minimum temperature? will you need heat in winter?

I do not have any plans to use chlorate compounds.

I need to verify it will survive solvents but I currently plan to have a client of mine who does kitchen/bathroom remodelling build the bench tops of the same material used in his kitchen (and others of his clients I know). It is solid and easily cleanable with normal kitchen cleaners so I do not expect a problem but still need to verify.

I live in SE Michigan. I will not be working in the winter and so do not plan to have heat. This is primarily an Apr/May-Sept/Oct thing.

If I had 5 times the space I would consider a larger and heated workspace, but I do not expect that heating such a small workspace would be economically viable.

the chlorate thing would be my question as well. see, i'm a complete moron. i use chlorates and i also use ammonium perchlorate. but!!! i have an area designated outside to do work with ammonium perchlorate and that is the one chem i do not store in the same building as the rest. it would only take a few pissed off molecules of ammonium chlorate to turn any wonderful firework into a widowmaker.

I only used ammonium perchlorate once for red falling leaves. It was fine but not worth the issues, I would rather have access to using chlorates instead.

If I was building from scratch, these are some features I'd consider/want.

A garage door or barn door on one or both end. This makes moving bigger piece of equipment, drums, tables, etc. in and out easier of course. It also give a wide area to blow out dusts and debris.

Air compressor (see above) - This is one of the easiest ways to keep your shop clean. Blow out the majority of dust, and then give everything a wipe down. It also makes cleaning behind and around things much easier, and better penetrates crevices. They're great for cleaning out screens too.

This could be an add on, but perhaps an outdoor area with an overhang. These are nice for particularly dusty operations or ones using volatile solvents.

Doors or openings on all 4 walls. This allows proper airflow at night when things could be drying no matter which direction the wind is blowing.

Running water.

Check ebay. You can sometimes find hazardous location light fixtures or enclosures and switches at good prices. Failing that, paint booth light fixtures might also be a safer economical option.

Personally, I'd use windows. If you're working in there during the day or on weekends of whatever, natural sunlight is nice. If you're legal, it doesn't matter what the neighbors think.

Yeah, not planning on using AP or chlorates so that shouldn't be an issue.

I was thinking of having a covered outdoor platform, will look into that option.

Legality is not an issue (this is all part of prep for getting permit, type 4 indoor mag I plan to put in the storage shed already on the property). I am more worried about teenagers with binoculars getting interested in finding a way in.

I had not thought of a compressor... I know my brother has one at his place, I may see about taking it off him since I haven't heard of him using it lately (he used to work on an old jeep he no longer has).

I was planning to build a drying box outside the workshop, prefer not to have potentially live comps unsupervised and inside with the other chems and equipment.

A compressor is a game changer in a build shop. It's hard to go back afterwards. It's also amazing how much dust collects everywhere.

I did think of one other thing. Possibly a small tankless water heater for washing up tools and stuff.

I doubt such a water heater will be in the budget, but I will look into it. More likely I will just have access to the outdoor water faucet and a hose for spraying things down.

Hmm, a basin in the corner with something like this might be reasonable... will consider it as well.

It's really more of a luxury to make cleanup a little more comfortable. The groundwater around here can get kind of chilly. Tankless units dont take up much room and can always be added down the road.