APC Forum

YouTuber Explosives Felony Charge

CrossOut

Quick warning for those of you who like to put your creations on the internet.. Nothing wrong about it but BE SMART!!!!!

Looking at news today, Grant Thomson (King Of Random) was charged with 2 counts of felony of Possession of Explosive Devices

https://gizmodo.com/prominent-youtuber-charged-with-felony-involving-explos-1822192991

AvE also made a vid about not being an idiot.

Yeah... LE’s looking at ALL yer stuff. Or assume so. Kinda sucks for hobbyists, etc. All I do is pop a few punkins with Tannerite anymore- legallike overall... but still won’t put anything on YT any more. I have some old stuff there, but those were up before I had my little chat with the big 2 3 letter agencies several years back.

Jeez... dry ice at that. Huh. How gauche’ :D

Heard that story yesterday...

But to be honest, igniting potentially explosive devices in your backyard in a neighborhood is not the smartest idea at all. Especially if some of your neighbors wait for you to do a single mistake to call the cops and report your activities.

I remember having a warning note from the local police once, due to a bp rocket that i lighted in the backyard.

Especially if some of your neighbors wait for you to do a single mistake to call the cops and report your activities.

From what i've read / heard, that doesn't seem to be what happened. Grant and Nate were shooting with an undisclosed pyrotechnic composition. The supposedly "left by some friend, and most likely scavenged from rockets" composition. Somewhere along the "lets scale this up" it self-contained, went critical and shot burning fragments around. If it actually is scavenged materials from rockets, then the burning composition would probably be a mix of break-charge, and AP based rocket fuel, and the burning parts that got flung around, more then likely stars.

When shit did hit the fan, they needed some care and attention, and called for the rescue-services them self. The local firemarshals show up, and takes it from there.

Grant has, well, as far as he lets on, been informing both the sheriffs office, and the local firemarshals about his shenanigans, and i don't really think he will be getting much trouble over this.

What could be a much larger issue. Nate is an employee of the production company. Health and safety, for the employee, quite clearly hasn't been prioritized high enough, and there could be reason for a claim. Also, the staff includes a fair bit more people, they have camera crew, editors, and god only knows who was on site.

Not sure about the earlier dry ice bomb. Rumor mill claims the cops showed up when taping it, but also claims the prosecutor got wind of his youtube account and simply went through it to see if there was anything else to charge him with. Regardless, two counts of stupidity, that may at most end in fines, and he can afford a good size legal team. This youtube stiff is making him a quite wealthy character. He'll be fine.

Some theories have been put forth that he would, as a Canadian national living in the US, risk being booted out, but i don't see it happening.

if you've watched his page over the years, one would have no doubt they knew exactly what they were messing with.one could also conclude that they do not have the proper respect for energetic compositions. someone here or over at f.w. should get hold of these morons and sit em down fer a minnit....could end up saving a life.

Edited by rogeryermaw
  • Like 1

Disobeying the Law is one thing. Disobeying the Law + stupidity = Your own fault.

These sort of activities just makes it worse for those that just like to experiment and learn.

Errggghhh.!!

I have been watching his channel for a few years, even built a few of his projects, he has been pushing the envelope lately.

deleted.

Edited by stix