APC Forum

Can I use these for anything?

hesusplease

Hello Forum!

So recently I found out that I had some old chemicals lying around, and I really want to create some kind of flash powder / something similar to black powder with what I've got. Now, I got these following chemicals - do you guys know how I can make some 'fun' out of them?

I have:

Cus04, 5H20

NaHSO4

Pure red Phosphor

Yellow/Normal Sulphur

MnO2

(I also have some Magnesium, but it is not very 'fine' - it is in grains).

Any suggestions?

Happy new year!

Cus04, 5H20

NaHSO4

Pure red Phosphor

Yellow/Normal Sulphur

MnO2

Copper sulfate penthydrate, sodium bisulfate, red phosphor, sulphur, and manganese dioxide?

With your not very fine magnesium, i suppose you got... nothing? You could by KNO3, and make charcoal, to get black powder, and add the magnesium to throw sparks, if it's chunky enough i suppose.

Of the top of my head i cant really come up with anything.

Then there is also the problem with a new member showing up, and asking to make flash powder, which generally the rest of the forum doesn't quite approve of. Me, i'm more... forgiving, and would help out if i could, but i don't really see much potential there.

Stay safe, live long, and have fun. In pretty much that order.

• Like 2

I suggest you take the time to learn about pyro related chemistry before you get hurt or worse. If you go into this hobby with only half the information you need to know, bad things can happen to you and none of us want to hear about a new person in the hobby getting seriously injured. So, read, read, read, there is a lot of information and links to more info on this site. Most everyone on these forums is very helpful, but please take a little time to do some research on your own first. It will show to everyone you are willing to put some effort into your endeavors. If, during your research, you get confused or simply don't understand something, then by all means, ask away.

• 1 month later...

some of that stuff may be dangerous to mix. the magnesium and copper sulfate come to mind. reactive metals and soluble copper salts tend to react. with coarse metal the corrosion may occur slowly enough to be less than hazardous but with fine metals, the reaction can be hot enough to cause unintended ignition...or so i have read...don't want to try it myself