APC Forum

Experiments with larger increments for faster rocket-making.

Ubehage

. . . He made the mistake of asking me if I had served time for it?

For what it's worth, and from what I know, you have already "served time" many times over.

Edited by stix

I guess that the increment size of loading the motor could be dependent on dia of motor and the increment size , and the pressures being supplied.

I usually use the 1x i.d. method . but thats only up to 3/4" motors. wouldnt try that with larger dia motors,.Not sure if there is any gain or loss doing it that way. They always fly. Never had catos with standard bp comps /

• Like 1

Dagabu, Your post about pvc for rocket motors was quite interesting and informative. The thought came to mind about the 20 and 60 lb. black powder motors we saw fly at Fargo maybe 8 or 9 years ago. These motors were made from fibercast pipe by Bruce S. Wonder if the the fiberglass would be viewed as the same as pvc by the courts. By the way, if I remember correctly, these motors were 1 3/4 and 2 3/8 inches ID. Big rocket motors!

I believe there are some on this forum using those fiberglass C-class mortars for rocket motors with great success. Those people do, however have an ATF license. Also, the fiberglass mortars are relatively frangible when over-pressurized and nearly crumble. PVC fractures into shards and they can travel with enough velocity over a moderate distance to penetrate tissues. I would certainly use fiberglass pipe over PVC for any rocket that is intended to be fired around people.

I used a LOT of aluminum for HP rocketry, we also had to stand off hundreds of feet from the rocket when igniting them, not nearly the same issue as pyro.

Dagabu, Your post about pvc for rocket motors was quite interesting and informative. The thought came to mind about the 20 and 60 lb. black powder motors we saw fly at Fargo maybe 8 or 9 years ago. These motors were made from fibercast pipe by Bruce S. Wonder if the the fiberglass would be viewed as the same as pvc by the courts. By the way, if I remember correctly, these motors were 1 3/4 and 2 3/8 inches ID. Big rocket motors!

• 4 weeks later...

I have made a large number of rockets in the past using plastic electrical conduit for cables. I have always ignited them behind some kind of screen and have never had an explosion and the dreaded shrapnel.

Testing had been performed in cardboard first to dial in the mixes.

I do NOT recommend this procedure...it was research. I will say that these tubes are far stronger and durable than one might imagine but not recommended.

They do soften with a core burner rocket towards the end of their burn.