APC Forum

Stick Mounting Guide

usapyro

Anyone have a ingenious way to mount sticks aligned perfectly every time on the motor? I wonder if anyones rockets dont spin on their way up?

Im kinda tired of eyeballing it and hot gluing... Or the hot glue and... Quick quick! Press and align as fast as possible before it hardens!

Dagabu does. He places the stick on a table then rolls the motor along side and onto the stick, perfect every time.

Lol.. I haven't ever seen him do That!

Guess I haven't been paying attention!

That's a pretty darn good idea.

:)

Put the hot glue on the stick if you're using hot glue, lay it on the table roll the motor up next to it with the heading hanging off the table so only the motor is on the table (stick facing away from it) and as you roll the motor towards the stick, turn the stick to meet the motor so it's laying flat against the side of the motor.

Using tape or water activated gummed tape? Same way, put the strip of tape with the sticky facing up place the motor on top of it and start to roll the motor so the tape starts wrapping around the mortar, place a stick on the tape facing up and roll the motor into the stick take the flap of tape still on the table bring it over the motor and wrap it around. Do that same thing with the second piece of tape and you will have perfect alignment every time.

It takes some trial-and-error to do it this way but there's no special jigs, tools, Etc that are needed.

But ask King Solomon once wrote, there is nothing new Under the Sun. A now deceased pyro walked up to me years ago latest hand on my shoulder and said "Son let me show you how to put a stick on a rocket!".

Edited by dagabu
  • Like 1

Me rockets do a dance! 😂 Just noticed looking close at daytime footage. Need to find some cedar... Using soft pine currently. The sticks are perfectly straight at launch.

post-11032-0-72370900-1514328151_thumb.pngpost-11032-0-11483600-1514328164_thumb.png

Edited by usapyro
  • Like 1

Interesting to actually see the sticks bend in flight like that. Be good to see the difference with more rigid sticks.

Double sticks eliminates that phenomenon, on opposing sides. You can also shorten them when you do this. They behave more like fins.
  • Like 1

I agree with neighbor j.

I usually use 2 sticks. Smaller diameter and a little shorter.

Most wood variety will warp toward a heat source and cause that death spiral. Poplar seems to be one of the most cost effective and heat resistant species available. If you do a static test with any pine stick you will be able to see the stick warp toward the flame.

That is very interesting to know... However, I do prefer the flight using double sticks. Its much cleaner!

Cedar is a little spendy. $25 for enough wood to make 54 sticks.

Edited by usapyro

• 2 weeks later...