APC Forum

Senko Hanabi Sparklers

Ubehage

I found this video a couple of months ago, of some rather stranger but nice looking japanese sparklers.

I have experimented some with these, since they're EXTREMELY difficult to make perfectly every time.

Composition Name: Senko Hanabi Sparkler

Creator of composition: Unknown

Composition type: Composition that will make everything else burn and emit sparks.

6 parts KNO3,

3 parts Sulfur,

1 part Charcoal.

When this composition is ignited, it will turn into a liquid "blob" which will ignite anything it touches.

It burns rather slowly, and emits nice looking occasional sparks as it is burning.

A neat trick is to take a tiny-tiny spoonful of composition and put it into a piece of fire-resistant paper.

Gather the composition in one spot, and roll the papir into a tail. Just like 'throwdown crackers', but a lot thinner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tl8DAwJ7S0

Edited by Ubehage
  • Like 2

Interesting.

I was under the impression that sparklers required some metal to get the sparks - apparently not.

• 10 months later...
The best paper, as I think was mentioned in the video. Is something we in Australia can get at $2 shops. It’s fairly important that your paper is flame retardant. You could try with sodium bicarbonate soaked paper towel?
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
First I'll say hello. Now then about senko hanabi. Please know im an novice fire starter however due to a Tramatic Brain Injury a few years back something strange but amazing has happened or is currently happening rather to my thinking. Aquired Savant Syndrome is what they call it. In a nutshell everything i think about in a deep way comes clear and fast. Now to the sparkler. All i can say is this. Watch this very short youtube video (2 min approx) and i will show you how to get them to work good everytime. The description tells the comp % and as short as it is the video shows everything and i don't say a word. P.S. i learned this this past weekend after stummbling onto them on Friday. Hence the Savant explanation.
Edited by Kdotscomc

Quite nice! How did you arrive at the composition?

Have you thought about adding to it a wee bit of pulverized

steel wool powder?