5 replies to this topic

#1 Ubehage

Ubehage

Pyrotechnician

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 07:22 PM

I found this video a couple of months ago, of some rather stranger but nice looking japanese sparklers.

I have experimented some with these, since they're EXTREMELY difficult to make perfectly every time.

Composition Name: Senko Hanabi Sparkler

Creator of composition: Unknown

Composition type: Composition that will make everything else burn and emit sparks.

6 parts KNO3,

3 parts Sulfur,

1 part Charcoal.

When this composition is ignited, it will turn into a liquid "blob" which will ignite anything it touches.

It burns rather slowly, and emits nice looking occasional sparks as it is burning.

A neat trick is to take a tiny-tiny spoonful of composition and put it into a piece of fire-resistant paper.

Gather the composition in one spot, and roll the papir into a tail.  Just like 'throwdown crackers', but a lot thinner.

Edited by Ubehage, 23 December 2017 - 07:25 PM.

• stix and DoodieSmoothie like this

Blowing shit up is not a goal in itself. Seeing your device working the way you intended, is the greatest satisfaction of all.

#2 stix

stix

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Interests:Pyrotechnics, Model Rocketry, Programming, Photography

Posted 23 December 2017 - 09:01 PM

Interesting.

I was under the impression that sparklers required some metal to get the sparks - apparently not.

I just start the conversation - someone else has to question them.

#3 Svimmer

Svimmer

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Pyrotechnic

Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:28 AM

These are extreamly hard to master though :/

• Ubehage likes this

#4 AussieBombTech

AussieBombTech

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Pyrotechnics, explosives, chemistry, family and medicine

Posted 31 October 2018 - 06:01 AM

The best paper, as I think was mentioned in the video. Is something we in Australia can get at $2 shops. It’s fairly important that your paper is flame retardant. You could try with sodium bicarbonate soaked paper towel?
  • Ubehage likes this
My kryptonite is fe2o3, that stuff stained my work bench for months.

#5 Kdotscomc

Kdotscomc

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 08:29 PM

First I'll say hello. Now then about senko hanabi. Please know im an novice fire starter however due to a Tramatic Brain Injury a few years back something strange but amazing has happened or is currently happening rather to my thinking. Aquired Savant Syndrome is what they call it. In a nutshell everything i think about in a deep way comes clear and fast. Now to the sparkler. All i can say is this. Watch this very short youtube video (2 min approx) and i will show you how to get them to work good everytime. The description tells the comp % and as short as it is the video shows everything and i don't say a word. P.S. i learned this this past weekend after stummbling onto them on Friday. Hence the Savant explanation.

Edited by Kdotscomc, 02 March 2020 - 08:30 PM.

#6 SeaMonkey

SeaMonkey

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Electricity, Electronics, Electro-Chemistry, Vintage Computers, Fixing and Restoring Old Stuff, Amateur Pyrotechnics

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:37 PM

Quite nice!  How did you arrive at the composition?

Have you thought about adding to it a wee bit of pulverized

steel wool powder?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users