APC Forum

MCRH

MadMat

I've been making 2,3 and 4" cylinder shells for some time now and am thinking about starting 5". I was wondering at what diameter does one start using MCRH (or equivalent). I was guessing at 6" but not sure. BTW I stopped spiking the burst charge at 4".

Edited by MadMat

For cylinder shells I use only granulated BP. As they get larger I use increasingly larger quantities of polverone but MCRH can compress and cause a flowerpot during lift. I do occasionally use MCRH for large rocket headers because they aren't subjected to the same forces and weight is a concern. Edited by NeighborJ

Most people say they use MCRH in 5" and up ball shells. I tried some in a 4" dusted with whistle and wasn't impressed with the break.

I use it from 3-10" with dust.

I've been making 2,3 and 4" cylinder shells for some time now and am thinking about starting 5".

I was under the assumption that the 5" shells he is starting are cylinder shells.If not, then yes, MCRH on 4" and bigger.

I use mcrh on everything except lift. I put it in and pack it tight even cylinders.

Ok, are you using thick end disks? 1/8", I've made my end disks in the past from ramboard and decided after a few flower pots to use only BP. I've recently switched to 1/8" disks but haven't revisited using MCRH in those shells.

Oops, missed the reference to cylinders. I haven't used MCRH in any of those.

I am using chipboard

Most folks don't use mcrh for cylinders. They don't pack well enough to survive lift.

But.. for a rocket heading I see no terrible downside as long as you can make them work.

Most folks us a cannule. Filled with hot bp and then pack the space around the stars with polverone

• 2 weeks later...

I guess i cheated a little, i kinda pressed the end disk.

• 6 months later...
I used MRCH for the last two years in 3 and 4" cylinders and have never had a flower pot. I boost with nitrate flash and get very good breaks. I also lift with mcrh with no problems. I do use thick end discs. Based on this thread y'all are probably thinking I wouldn't know a problem if I saw it. It is just so efficient to coat rice hills in a cement mixer than granulating. Maybe I've been lucky but so far no failures. Edited by Merlin