APC Forum

Cell for kclo4?

PyrofireM100

Hello I'm new in this forum, I am an pyrotechnic appassionate. I need potassium perclorate to make stars and flash powder, but I don't know how to make a cell for syntetize it. I have a microwave trasformer, a digital power meter monitor voltage, 20 m of copper wire, 10 kg of kcl, 4 graphite electrodes and a bucket. can someone give me a guide to make the cell please?

There is a HUGE (and offputtingly long thread on this). Basically KChlorate is a poor material for the process to K perc. You do need a platinum electrode or a Lead dioxide electrode to make perc.

Where I can find good progects of cells on internet? Is difficult for me build a cell because I don't have Knowledges

When you have read this thread https://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/1629-making-potassium-per-chlorate/ you will know a lot more. Basically KCl electrolyses easily to K Chlorate, BUT this isn't easy to synthesise KPerc. For KPerc it's easier to start with sodium chloride, make sodium chlorate, then make sodium perc, THEN you add KCl solution and make KPerc which precipitates easily.

It's not so much that potassium chlorate is difficult to electrolyze to perchlorate. The solubilities are just quite low that it makes throughput poor.

Chemically it's perfectly easy to electrolyse KCl to KPerc, in amateur reality in a realistic cell it's hard because the low solubilities can cause the platinum electrode to erode.

Platinum electrodes are very sensitive to voltage ripple on their supply, it's far better to use a switch mode psu than to use a transformer-rectifier psu as typically made from a microwave oven transformer.

Edited by Arthur