APC Forum

Cracker/Saluts ?

Svimmer

What book is that from? I think there is another drawing to go with it that explains it better. Is it Shimizu or Weingart?

Edited by OldMarine

What book is that from? I think there is another drawing to go with it that explains it better. Is it Shimizu or Weingart?

Westech

This is what i have done so far. So i need to punch holes for powder to go through then il remove the paper and make clay plugs and punch holes with a thin nail for fuses. or something like that. havent tried this before :D

http://bldr.no/BJt

http://bldr.no/BJ-

Edited by Sondre

I have the Westech manual and will need to look that up again. Found it! Someone else was doing inertial filling similar to lancework but I found the idea of pounding flash on the table to fill the tubes to be rather scary. Are you using visco or are you going to use the Gampi to make paper fuse ?

I have the Westech manual and will need to look that up again. Found it! Someone else was doing inertial filling similar to lancework but I found the idea of pounding flash on the table to fill the tubes to be rather scary. Are you using visco or are you going to use the Gampi to make paper fuse ?

Gampi.

Kyle Kepley has an excellent tutorial on rolling the paper fuse on Passfire but the Westech article is pretty clear as well. There is a Russian fellow who has a good video but I can't find it at the moment. Found an even better one:

Edited by OldMarine
  • Like 1

Kyle Kepley has an excellent tutorial on rolling the paper fuse on Passfire but the Westech article is pretty clear as well. There is a Russian fellow who has a good video but I can't find it at the moment. Found an even better one:

Yeah have tried it before it works great.

This is what i have done so far. So i need to punch holes for powder to go through then il remove the paper and make clay plugs and punch holes with a thin nail for fuses. or something like that. havent tried this before :D

Well... That is not the way they describe it, and/or the way the traditional Chinese crackers are made.

They bundle the tubes, and then partially fold the inside of the tubes in on it self, "crimp" it with a punch, that seals the end. Then they glue the tissue paper over the open end, just to punch the tubes open again. This is to seal the spaces between the tubes, so there isn't composition, spilling between the tubes.

If i understand your text right, they then suggest using the outside of the glued paper to form a shallow bowl, in which you add your composition, to be able to shake it in to the tubes, pretty much completely filling them. After which the excess is promptly dumped out, along with some of what filled the tubes. You need a bit of room in the tube for what that comes next.

Fuse is added, and using the same punch that closed the bottom end, you crimp the tops around the fuse, completing the firecracker.

Also, the tubes are rolled thick enough that you can crimp the end without using all of the tubes wall thickness on the ends, so the outer layers are untouched.

Skilled workers are amazing at this. I couldn't replicate it for the life of me.

But yes, i suppose the picture in the first post represents one step in the process the text is trying to describe.

Edited by MrB
  • Like 1

Well... That is not the way they describe it, and/or the way the traditional Chinese crackers are made.

They bundle the tubes, and then partially fold the inside of the tubes in on it self, "crimp" it with a punch, that seals the end. Then they glue the tissue paper over the open end, just to punch the tubes open again. This is to seal the spaces between the tubes, so there isn't composition, spilling between the tubes.

If i understand your text right, they then suggest using the outside of the glued paper to form a shallow bowl, in which you add your composition, to be able to shake it in to the tubes, pretty much completely filling them. After which the excess is promptly dumped out, along with some of what filled the tubes. You need a bit of room in the tube for what that comes next.

Fuse is added, and using the same punch that closed the bottom end, you crimp the tops around the fuse, completing the firecracker.

Also, the tubes are rolled thick enough that you can crimp the end without using all of the tubes wall thickness on the ends, so the outer layers are untouched.

Skilled workers are amazing at this. I couldn't replicate it for the life of me.

But yes, i suppose the picture in the first post represents one step in the process the text is trying to describe.

Thank you very mutch for explaining it :)

I always thought they used a machine like this for high quality salutes:

https://youtu.be/JjhQN2kczBg

• Like 1

I always thought they used a machine like this for high quality salutes:

https://youtu.be/JjhQN2kczBg

That is a funny video! I work with robots daily and there are so many things wrong with how they animated how that robot should work. Im not sure if the video was made as a joke or not, but when working with robots things need to be alot more precise then how that video is layed out for it to be able to work. Needless to say i dont think anyone would feel comfortable with that many electronics around flash, especially with how many things do go wrong with robots.

• Like 1

Im not sure if the video was made as a joke or not,

The robots are making ACME explosives, as seen in the roadrunner cartoons, it's a pretty safe bet that the joke is somewhere in the manufacturing process. Right at the end, pretty much, i guess...

I should have specified that it was to be watched with a grain of salt. OBVIOUSLY hammers aren't used to seat the end caps. And obviously, quality control isn't done in the real world as it was in the video. The closing credits make things more clear, if the video is watched.

I actually like the "Pyrosamm" channel. Despite it's obvious video limitations it does show the methods we like to think that the Chinese factories use.

shows lots of more mechanical machines with CNC. Several other channels show firework making machines

I actually like the "Pyrosamm" channel. Despite it's obvious video limitations it does show the methods we like to think that the Chinese factories use.

shows lots of more mechanical machines with CNC. Several other channels show firework making machines

They dont show how they plug the end with the fuse ?

Hello. I'm new on here. And i think my question falls under newb questions lol. Though I won't see myself as one. I have been working with this for over 3 years now. And i never had one single major accident. ;-)

My question is this. I have just started working with some flash powder. The kind using potassium nitrate.

When it comes to the aluminium. What is best? The "German dark" or "Pyro dark" ?? I think that "Pyro dark" uses more charcoal.. And therefore maybe preventing more that the aluminium oxidizes in the process of milling it than with "German dark".

So. Is more charcoal better when using it for flash?

Not that i'm an expert on the topic, but, supposedly the "black" came from paper backing the aluminum foil that needed some support so that it could be cut to size. Once cut, i no longer played a significant part, and was burnt of. In that case, the "black" is as, sot, and pretty much just garbage, not charcoal.

If adding charcoal to the mill when milling aluminum is supposed to do anything, then it is preventing aluminum from fusing back together after reaching a small enough size.

Somehow i don't think coating anything with charcoal prevents oxygen from accessing the surface, and hence prevents oxidation, but i could be wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

That is a funny video! I work with robots daily and there are so many things wrong with how they animated how that robot should work. Im not sure if the video was made as a joke or not, but when working with robots things need to be alot more precise then how that video is layed out for it to be able to work. Needless to say i dont think anyone would feel comfortable with that many electronics around flash, especially with how many things do go wrong with robots.

That looks like a Computer Science student's Graphics 102 final project--a simple 5 minute animation, subject of student's choosing. It's got all the hallmarks--polygonal shapes, rough timing, and little to no advanced rendering, because that takes a ton of CPU time and your personal machine doesn't have the horsepower, and some fartknocker always reboots your machine in the lab the moment you step away to have a smoke because, "it was running slow when I logged in!" :glare:

...ask me how I know.

• Like 1