APC Forum

Pay pal

dynomike1

WARNING Be careful with Pay Pal. I had 2 persons that got a $100.00 out of my checking, that i didn't even know. I contacted Pay pal and the next day they said there were no unauthorized purchases. So i went to the bank and got my money back now i am waiting on a new card. FUCK PAY PAL

Edited by dynomike1

i have used paypal since it began, i have never had a problem. i use it a lot every week at least one time, other weeks many times per day both coming and going

• Like 2

I have PayPal connected to my Visa Debit card and make sure I have no subscriptions or recurring payments. I get alerts to my account and can dispute any payment in which the pin wasn't entered. I had a Chi-com turd try to double dip on me recently and it was shut down in minutes.

I've only used pay pal a handful of times but never had an issue.

Dynomike1, can you tell us a bit more about what happened? Was it the same person or 2 different people? Personal or business accounts? How could they possibly just take money from you? I mean did they login to your account, otherwise you would have had to approve a request for funds right?

Ok here is what went down. I have been using pay pal and i saved my Debit card info there. The other day i noticed 2 charges in my checking account that said pay pal joewill $ xx.xx then the next day another one said pay pal Jvretro $xx.xx so i started researching everyone that i have bought from those names didn't come up. Then i started searching e-mails they didnt come up. Went through my checking account they still didnt come up. I wanted to make sure i didnt buy something and forgot about it. So then i contacted pay pal and the next day they said there were no unauthorized purchases. What made me mad was they refused to believed they had been breached. Pay pal is the only place that i have used my card since Aug 1. I went to the bank and got my money back. I forgot no pre authorized any where.

Well..someone got yer info somehow. If those transactions were “authorized” anyway.

Change passwords and such often. And make them nasty to crack.

I have used PP for 5 years with my rub/seasoning biz and never had an issue..thousands of transactions.

• Like 2

I have used PP for 5 years with my rub/seasoning biz and never had an issue..thousands of transactions.

Oooh, I love food and cooking, could you link me to your rub?

ya rich! link! whatcha got? i'll pay pal ya. i too have been using it for years and never had a problem. only once with a transaction that didn't go as planned and they reimbursed me immediately

This is why you should use a password manager. You wont have to remember the ridiculous randomly generated password, just store it and pull it when needed.

I use KeePass both at work (in IT) and personally. There are official and third party (including open source) apps for android, iphone, and window/mac/linux desktops.

The website is www.Madhunkymeats.com

Sorry for the hijack...

Well..someone got yer info somehow. If those transactions were “authorized” anyway.

That about sums it up, someone almost certainly guessed, fished or brute forced your Paypal login password and made those payments or did the same for your debit card... The fact that you have not used that card since Aug is pretty irrelevant, as it could have been compromised out of a hacked database for a purchase you made anytime in the past with that card...

I have had my Paypal account for 17 years now and it's never been compromised, can't say the same for multiple credit cards when used for overseas purchases, but even then I have never lost even a penny when a card was compromised, always 100% reimbursement and I can't blame the credit card company for shady businesses or employees that skimmed my card info during the overseas purchase...

Edited by AllisterF
  • Like 1

Meh... My PayPal account has been the same for something like 12-15 years, and the password has always been "5cr3w_Y0u" without the ".

Oddly enough it's never been robbed.

I do find it weird that PayPal hasn't gone to two factor authentication yet. Be it email, or phone.

• 7 months later...

I trust nothing electronic

It is not the electronic part that is the problem, people are (almost) always the weakest link.

I would rather use my credit card online where only computers see the actual number than in a restaurant where actual people take the card out of my site and can easily clone it.

My credit card never leave my sight. The waiter must bring the reader to me. They never refused to bring it. If some time some waiter refuses to bring the reader to me, he will have a problem.

• Like 1

Things are different in the EU, here, we have POS (point of sale) which is a computer with a card reader that sits on a desk/table/counter somewhere and the wait staff takes your card to the POS, swipes or reads the chip, and returns with the card and a slip of paper to sign.

If you are lucky, the station where they have the POS is in sight of your table, but not always.

I am Spanish, and last time I checked, Spain is in Europe. My card is never more than one meter away from me. Also, chip and pin, magnetic band disabled, so no way to skim it. In the few and very rare places a POS is needed, i go to the POS with my card in hand, even if the POS is in the kitchen. Usually no need for this, they bring a wireless reader to the table. If the waiters don't like it, is their problem, not mine. Since they have the sticker announcing they accept my brand of credit card, they must honour the sticker.

I am Spanish, and last time I checked, Spain is in Europe. My card is never more than one meter away from me. Also, chip and pin, magnetic band disabled, so no way to skim it. In the few and very rare places a POS is needed, i go to the POS with my card in hand, even if the POS is in the kitchen. Usually no need for this, they bring a wireless reader to the table. If the waiters don't like it, is their problem, not mine. Since they have the sticker announcing they accept my brand of credit card, they must honour the sticker.

Sorry, I guess I was confusing there. I was saying that things are different where you are, in the EU, compared to 'here', in the US.

Most restaurants here do not have the mobile readers you all do. It was bad enough trying to get vendors to change equipment to handle new chipped cards, no one wants to spend the money on a portable device that can be lost/stolen/easily damaged.

It helps to think of food service in the US as like a third world country, it is how most businesses treat the employee environment. (I have worked there in the past, this is from experience)

I think the credit card companies will subsidise, if not directly give away, the newer devices. It's the way to incentive the adoption of new technologies. I see a lot of commerce getting the latest readers for "free" (Free as you pay for it with the commissions, and you will pay the same commissions you get it or not. )

I see american restaurants as third world without need for the credit card problem. Tips should not be "mandatory". A worker should be paid by his employer a just salary for the work he does. Tips, if given, should be an incentive for quality of service well above what is required.

And no need to ask forgiveness. I misread the commas. Rereading now I get what you said, so I'm the one who should say sorry.

• Like 1

Many of us here despise the tipping system, but until we get the min wage laws changed, not tipping only hurts the employee, not the business owner or the lawmakers.

Around here, it was a big deal because the credit card companies either didn't subsidize, or if they did, it was not much of the hardware cost. The only reason most places switched is because the CC contract was changed making the vendor liable for fraudulent charges if they used a swipe and the CC company liable (as had been the case before the change) only if a chip was used.

Also no need for you to say sorry, English is a ridiculous language with way too many ways to be misunderstood, heh.

We are entering in economics close to politics here.... But I think minimum wage laws should not have anithing to do with this. Workers should be paid a just salary for the work done, minimum wage laws or not, it's simple human decency. And if they do not get what is just, they shuould use the power of colective bargaining. (Carefully avoiding the word union)

• Like 1