APC Forum

Air pockets in r-candy

JMan

Pyropro

Your post about the super candy fuel you made using KClO4 is quite interesting. Please let me know the composition you used - % of each and type of sugar. Did you find it was more powerful than standard sugar candy fuel? Thanks in advance.

Almost all my sugar rocket exploded because I had air pockets in fuel. Then I got small refrigerator in my garage. I keep my fuel ramming cylinders there. Cold metal does not stick to sugar fuel so it is possible to make hot fuel tight. Since then I have no explosions because air inside fuel.

Two comments: first my Sorbitol experience has been the mixture is much more sticky and harder to work with. I went back to sugar. Second, with air pockets have you tried putting less fuel in at one time and pressing with plunger? I have seen a couple friends add very small amounts of fuel, press and repeat and they have had no CATO issues.

Sorry Ive been doing a lot with college visits and scholarships right now but I had some time tonight and Ive made (at least to me) the biggest breakthrough in sugar rocket history (might make a new thread on it but its still very related to this thread) so quick catch up with my methods first

Decided to use 1 inch pvc motors

Tried sucrose its too hot and sets too quick

Tried sorbitol and its very pourable and I think for general use its absolutely amazing espicaly large scale motors

Decided to try smaller more reusable motor caseings tried kraft paper, bought-firework grade, and normal tubing. Works good but only can be reused 2 or 3 times

Went shopping at Lowes and saw a water hammer (who ever made this had to have been thinking how can I make it look like a rocket/motor (and if it looks like it will work good it must right?) bought both 1 inch and 1/4 inch and Im too scared to use 1 inch metal

Sucrose would not fill such a small space so I used sorbitol and my first time it was (I dont have a equipment to data record) about an e or f class motor.

Tried replicating results for about a month now cant get it

Tried today a 3-2-13 mix of sorbitol sucrose kno3 and I got perfect amazing results. The spindle does not stick to the fuel(no need to refrigerate ;) can be made in about 30 mins and if anyone is intregued please advise me to post exact instructions either on this thread or a new one (prolly titled fully reusable sugar rocket motor)

This is the motor Ive been dying to make it uses about 50 grams of fuel only needs one casing for 100-200 launches extreamly cheep perfectly reliable I sit cant express how sorbitol has fixed my problem no need to vibrate or shake or vacuums to get air out and no worries about degrading the fuel

EDIT: forgot to mention I cook my fuel Ive tried numerous times to dry press or cook grind and press but Ive had no luck with those (also dont have a bottle jack/hydraulic pump setup)

Edited by JMan