APC Forum

Possible solution to make r-candy non-hydroscopic?

JMan

So Ive been using and launching rcandy rockets for quite a while (recystilation method) and my biggest problem, as most people would agree, is its hydroscopic proprities. However, I think I just might have found a solution.

I know we all cook rocket fuel here but has anyone made cookies and iced them with Royale Iceing (2 large egg whites, 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar a pound of powdered sugar and a splash of vanilla) Well I did last night and like most Iceing it was creamy and malleable. After it set for awhile the air bubbles raised to the top and it got very hard (you could snap it and it was plastic like), no water at all. So Im thinking that I might be able to use Royale Iceing instead of sugar (its about 95ish % sugar) for dry pressing rocket fuel. It should stay dry and be much quicker as I dont have to bake it. Anyone have any ideas on if this would work (the main ingredients that harden it is the cream of tartar and egg whites). Im looking for the chemistry side as why this stuff hardens like plastic over night

Edited by JMan

As a cook I'd have to say it won't work though I've never made a sugar rocket. That's an additive used to make meringue and is itself hygroscopic and prone to sweating in desserts. I've had to toss out whole batches of meringue bowls planned for an evening's desserts because of this sweating. Albumin in the egg whites sucks up moisture. Sorry!

I dont know old marine. I know meringue is usually less stif more fluffy and has more liquid, but the royale iceing is solid after sitting here for about 2 days now. Im going to make some this weekend with 65% by weight of kno3 in it and do a dry burn test and static test. I really hope it works but I can not find the combustion product of cream of tartar and sugar/kno3. Ive found that when it burns it turns to pearl ash (K2CO3) which means

2(KC4H5O3)+O2=K2CO3+C7H10O11. Im not sure that last product is just whats left likely Id say it really turned into a mix of H2O, CO2, and CO but it is flammable so it shouldnt hinder the burn. Thats all I can dig up/figure on my own.

• Like 1

As a foodie and not a sugar rocketeer I'm interested in hearing of your results. Please post!

Ok after many hours (its a driving vacation 8 hours each way) of research Ive decided the fuel would not be worth it, if anyone still wants to try please post here and let me know.

I say its not worth it because sucrose degradation (which essicently degrades fuel) is caytalised by cream of tartar. This might be why the iceing hardens but either way it would render the (potentially) non-hygroscopic fuel pointless.

I think Im right on this but thats why I post, so I can be corrected when I make mistakes.

i'd think it wouldn't store long. with egg white and all that sugar food, would it not spoil? sounds like heaven for bacteria etc...maybe the KNO3 serves as some manner of preservative but i really don't know. couple folks around here are far better equipped to answer than i. chemistry guys?? what say you? beyond that, i would think the best method is to store in sealed conditions with desiccant.

Ive had some of this extra frosting sitting here in open air (still dry and non-hygiscopic) for over a week. I dont think this stuff is ever going to perish.

very funny :)
It is easier to use nitrocellulose varnish
this is what I do

Very wise! That has been a sort of a secret for those that compete. :ph34r: