APC Forum

3 strip pasting method for round shells

pyrogenius007

I am planning to make 2" round shells, I do not have much experience in making them. The few times I had a go at them the shell wrapping did not come out well. Most of the shells had a lot of over wrapping at the poles or at times they did not explode properly which I guess was due to improper pasting methods. I have read about the 3 strip pasting method for shells, can anybody guide me to any video or step by step pictures as to how it is done ?. Thanks.

I use the disc pasting method. Each application uses 6 discs that are slightly wider than half the circumference of the shell and are applied in 3 axes. Hard to explain but very simple to apply. There's a Russian guy with a good video I posted a while back. I'll see if I can find it.

Found it. Posted it on FW and Ned ran with it. Can't link to Ned's video but if you have a brain and can sit through this one you'll get the gist of the process.

Thanks OldMarine for taking the trouble of sending me the video, I will try out this method and post the result to you.

I've got 6 3" shells ready to fire that I'll try to get my ex to get video of this evening. All were pasted with discs and feel hard as rocks and are as round as an orange.

I was going to post a pic but Jim Beam and webcam don't mix.

Oldmarine, Wish you best of luck with your shells, you can send me the pics whenever you can. Regards, PG.

I was going to post a pic but Jim Beam and webcam don't mix.

I find the webcam makes the JB taste coppery--maybe the PC board?

B

• Like 1

I have seen a video of the 3-strip method on youtube a while ago, but quick searches dont bring it up. If I run across it again, I will post the link here.

No, that is not it. I like that video, other than the volume being so low I cannot hear it even at full volume.

The video I am referring to is a demonstration of the three strip method that this thread is asking about. In this method, three strips are used per vertical. One is from north pole to equator, next is from 45degrees to -45 degrees (ish, could be shorter but is spaced evenly on both sides of equator), and third is from equator to south pole. each of these strips is usually offset from the previous one by 1/3-1/2 of the strip width. This allows the center of the shell to build up bulk at the same rate as the poles, giving a final spherical shell, instead of a football shape.

Gotcha Star, there are many methods, I've heard of this three strip method called the (XYZ axis). It isnt perfect but none of them are, I've noticed a slight square shape from that method so I tried to improve on it with that three ring method.

The disc pasting method uses 3 axes but as long as your discs don't overlap too much I've noticed no significant bulging or build-up. I've finally got me a fine blade to cut some paper to try Jason's method.

Gotcha Star, there are many methods, I've heard of this three strip method called the (XYZ axis). It isnt perfect but none of them are, I've noticed a slight square shape from that method so I tried to improve on it with that three ring method.

yeah, the ring method looks cool, I will be trying it on a plastic shell next year.