APC Forum

is this a decent 3/4 crossette pump ?

RiderX

I bet that thing is 30 years old. It's probably overpriced, but looks to be in good shape. The comets it produces will be ideal for 3-4" cylinder shells.

I never found 3/4" all that difficult to break, though they do take some dialing in. You don't need anything exotic in terms of flash is basically what I'm trying to say. You will probably want to know that round shot crossettes like that can be a little harder to dial in. They're just not quite as easy to break into 4ish segments, not that they need to. 3-6 pieces is ideal generally. That tooling might also be more designed for "hole shots", which are basically small tied charges used to break the comet. I've seen a few with nipples on the end, but not all of them. These look better IMO as inserts in a shell where a bunch are going off at once.

I bet that thing is 30 years old. It's probably overpriced, but looks to be in good shape. The comets it produces will be ideal for 3-4" cylinder shells.

I never found 3/4" all that difficult to break, though they do take some dialing in. You don't need anything exotic in terms of flash is basically what I'm trying to say. You will probably want to know that round shot crossettes like that can be a little harder to dial in. They're just not quite as easy to break into 4ish segments, not that they need to. 3-6 pieces is ideal generally. That tooling might also be more designed for "hole shots", which are basically small tied charges used to break the comet. I've seen a few with nipples on the end, but not all of them. These look better IMO as inserts in a shell where a bunch are going off at once.

a new one from wolter is 88$ for 3/4, u think its worth it to grab that one on ebay, when i really get back into making stuff again ill be doing larger cyl shells

edit

off to lookup holeshots

Edited by RiderX

I got this one in the mail from Caleb today and am ready to start pumping comets!

post-20116-0-18966900-1508193802_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I wish I had the tools and skill to do it myself. I envy ya'll who can.

When you get around to making it, shoot me a PM. I have some dimensions saved up.

You might also want to wait it out, and see if you can eventually make an offer on it. The seller is also offering a 3/4" flat comet pump for $40, which is $6 below Wolter's list price and it doesn't even have the Nituff coating on it. This makes me think they aren't really thinking through the pricing. I'd think you could maybe offer $50 on the pair as a fair price.

• Like 1