2 replies to this topic

#1 Ubehage

Ubehage

Pyrotechnician

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:43 PM

Let me start by saying, this is not my own video. I wouldn't dare nitrate glycerol, and the finished product I guess is Unobtainium to me.

Anyway.. To the point:

In this video, he demonstrates and explains the properties of Nitroglycerin, and I found it quite interesting.

First of all, NG will not explode if it's not under pressure. Period!

If not pressurized/confined in some way, it will not explode!

I know, from other sources, that NG will burn very well. It's a bit more flammable than the alcohol we use in pyro, so not as "explosive" as gasoline.

It's auto-ignition temperature is 270 Celsius (518 Fahrenheit), and it does produce it's own heat by both friction and pressure.

Enough talk, here is the video:

Blowing shit up is not a goal in itself. Seeing your device working the way you intended, is the greatest satisfaction of all.

#2 greenlight

greenlight

Pyromaniac

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:45 AM

I would attribute the sensitivity mainly to thermal hotspot occurence rather than only pressure of its confinement but I suppose the two do corellate.
The tiny vapor bubbles in the liquid NG are heated from compression when subjected to shock from an impact and raise the temperature to initiation level.

I have also heard that the electronegativity of the NO3 groups puts more of a positive charge on the carbons causing them to bend away from each other slightly which would also attribute to the sensitivity.

The first test with the plastic container still had pressure exerted on the sample between the bullet and the wood back stop which should be enough to initiate the NG. I have initiated a drop before with a hammer on a plank of wood.
Maybe the container ruptured and spilt the contents relieving the pressure before the bullet had a chance to properly interact and form hotspots. The metal container is much stronger so this could not happen.

If you look at the nitroglycerin it is cloudy white in his video, which means it contains water and has not been dried. This could also affect sensitivity maybe.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by greenlight, 12 October 2017 - 12:45 AM.

• Ubehage likes this

#3 AllisterF

AllisterF

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:47 PM

Interesting video, I remember my Advanced Placement High School Chemistry teacher using his experience with nitroglycerin as a word caution of a thinking first about the outcome before jumping right in educational experience...  He told us that in college him and a few buddies got bored making nitrogen triiodide paste and using it for so called 'practical jokes' (jokes that would result in felony charges nowadays, so I won't go into details of what he said they did with it) decided to make nitroglycerin one weekend for the heck of...  Then the teaching moment came, once they had actually made a batch (that was apparently quite large) they all looked at each other and said "WTH are we going to do with it now?"

Edited by AllisterF, 13 October 2017 - 07:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users