APC Forum

Got VERY lucky today!

lloyd

We have what is ostensibly a very-good insurance company! We had extensive damage from hurricane Irma, but Farm Bureau Insurance came through.

With careful sourcing of materials, we ought to be able to hire professionals to climb our two roofs, instead of my having to do it myself.

That says a lot -- some people really got 'jinked' by their insurance companies... but ours paid fairly for the damages.

Lloyd

• Like 2

Im glad to hear that the insurance came through for you.....and that you don't have to install the new roof!

It's great to have insurance for the unexpected surprises, like hurricane Irma brought. I may get 5 roofs, after the $18k deductible! Still fortunate, all things considered. Edited by PeteyPyro
  • Like 1

Wow, Petey! Yours looks as bad as ours! And ours is 'mostly rural' (as in 'agricultural land'), so a little 'wear and tear' is expected.

But we're missing (now) almost 1400 square feet of roof (entirely missing! Like -- GONE!) from our business shop. And to be honest, that's the more-pressing issue. A few dozen - fairly major - 'tar patches' would keep the house roof from leaking until we can get it replaced.

I'm sure glad the insurance came through!

Lloyd

Wow, Lloyd. That's bad. I was watching single shingles fly like go-getters, and you were watching whole sections disappearing. I wish you a speedy reconstruction over there. Lots of neighbors lost even more. My thoughts and prayers go out to them all.

Yep, Pete. Some of our neighbors suffered worse damages, and didn't have as 'understanding' an insurance company as we do.

We're blessed by the Lord every day!

Lloyd

Totally blessed, I feel the same. I see what others have lost, and am thankful for what I have been entrusted with.

It's great to have insurance for the unexpected surprises, like hurricane Irma brought. I may get 5 roofs, after the $18k deductible! Still fortunate, all things considered.

Nice lawn. You really should get the blue hose of it before you mow the grass, or it will cut it to shreads. Wait. Thats a pool? Dude... That is green.

Just envy, i wish i could have a pool like that.

Come to think of something different. You guys who live in "hurricane alley", you haven't considered concrete roofing tiles, and locking every single one down with storm locks? It's going to be a larger investment just to get it in place, but after that it should let you ignore the weather as long as nothing actually impacts the roof. Like a small car.

Or the roofs slope is to shallow, and it just wont "work" with tiles?

I didn't have a single shingle 'lift'. But almost all of the mineral surfacing was just 'scrubbed' away by the high wind on one side, and that side constituted about 35% of the entire roof. They condemn the whole roof, if it goes past 25% damaged.

Around here, local codes require special trusses or other roof supports for concrete tile roofing. Oddly, some of the very old homes that were built with full-dimension lumber qualify, but many modern 'nominal size' roof trusses aren't rated for it -- at least according to our local building officials.

In my case, much of my roof is 'scissor truss' construction, which is even less-strong in vertical load capability.

Lloyd

Thats right, Lloyd. Shingle 'granule scrub erosion' from the hurricane's wind driven rain is what condemned our roofs. Although I had before and after pictures to show the adjuster, it was a hard sell.

It was a bit easier for us. Our roof has good-quality sculpted 30-year shingles, is only ten years old, and looks that new. So the adjuster was easily able to discern where and why the damage occurred. He didn't even balk at it.

I also took before-and-after photos, and made sure they were time/date stamped. I took the 'before' shots with all the hurricane covers installed, just in case we had any window or wall penetrations (didn't, thank goodness!).

LLoyd