Photo
- - - - -

How to make a cheap Indoor ATF Type 4 (IV) Storage Magazine for Display Fireworks

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jordanm

jordanm

Pyromaniac

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:25 PM

This is my video i made of How to make a cheap Indoor ATF Type 4 (IV) Storage Magazine for Display Fireworks.

• PeteyPyro likes this

#2 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,201 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:42 PM

Are you intending to use this to obtain a licence?  I don't ask for any particular reason, other than to keep us posted on the progress and federal/state acceptance.  

Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#3 PeteyPyro

PeteyPyro

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:WEARING PPE FIRST, then: Electronics, Fishing, Bass guitarist, Muscle cars, Ham Radio, Firearms & reloading, Home brewing, Scuba and cave diving, Lapidary & rockhound, Organic gardening, inorganic chemistry, traveling to Chile for "our" winters, and Pyrotechnics (of course) 😎. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:48 PM

Nice start, and looks nice, jordanm. Some possible options to consider... I've used rounded head carriage bolts through the wall studs, (facing outside) with the nuts on the inside, that can't be unbolted from the outside. Also took the 'feet' off to use it on it's side, with the door swinging from right go left, and removed the hinge support arms and cylinder (as they are sparking steel). I used safe 'RedHeads' to anchor the new floor through the cement slab (it's not going anywhere) I also used plywood cladding inside with expanding foam to cover gaps and covered any non-conformal surfaces wit the same bed liner that you used. Its great stuff. Very nice job box you have! Please keep us updated as to how the inspection progresses. Lots of us are interested in this one.
Pyrotechnician. It's not an ocupation. It's a diagnosis. Please WEAR YOUR PPE!!!

#4 jordanm

jordanm

Pyromaniac

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:43 PM

Yes i applied for my license here in Michigan about three weeks ago now and will be using this as my magazine to obtain my license. I will make a follow up video of how the inspection goes and keep everyone updated.

Thank You

#5 Richtee

Richtee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • Interests:Electronics and security professional. A fair cook/pitmaster, and bourbon drinker :{)

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:25 AM

MI eh? Cool. When I hit the lottery I was gonna apply here too :D

Good luck and keep us posted.

I like smoke! On food or in the air equally well.

#6 jordanm

jordanm

Pyromaniac

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:02 AM

I received my inspection by the ATF agent out of Detroit yesterday. He was very happy with the construction of my magazine and had no questions about it. The only question that arose was my location. He came to the conclusion that it was too close to inhabited buildings since it was 137 feet away instead of 150 feet. We browsed the property and found a more suitable location for the magazine outdoors or in another shed further away from its current location. We also went over best practices for storage and some of the other laws in the orange book. He left yesterday issuing my permit and said that he would come back to qualify the magazine when I had relocated it. After browsing around the internet and gathering my evidence about distance tables applying to outdoor magazines only, I emailed him back and supplied the information to him. He then contacted a variance officer in Washington and discussed indoor type 4 magazines distance tables and the conclusion was that the TOD does not apply to indoor type 4 storage magazines. He had already taken pictures and all the details of where the magazine is currently located and stated that he will be able to qualify it in its current location. So in conclusion the inspection and qualification went very well and only took about an hour and I will now have my permit. I do have to say the inspector I got was very nice and he also agreed that the inspectors now a day are not as bad as they used to be. If anyone has any other questions about how the inspection went I will gladly answer them.

• styropyro, Richtee and PeteyPyro like this

#7 Richtee

Richtee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • Interests:Electronics and security professional. A fair cook/pitmaster, and bourbon drinker :{)

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:07 AM

Excellent news! Well done, sir.

I like smoke! On food or in the air equally well.

#8 dynomike1

dynomike1

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Interests:Blowing Beaver dams, Shooting Cannons, Hunting, making fireworks.Buying guns.

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:56 AM

Here is one to watch for in the future.The last inspection i had on my type 1 is they cornered me about some paint whether or not it's spark resistant. Luckily i used epoxy paint. Before they left i glued a board over it. 

There are very few problems that cant be solved with explosives.
                             Explosives are a bang up job.

#9 jordanm

jordanm

Pyromaniac

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:49 AM

Here is one to watch for in the future.The last inspection i had on my type 1 is they cornered me about some paint whether or not it's spark resistant. Luckily i used epoxy paint. Before they left i glued a board over it. 

I kept the can that the bedliner came in just in case they question this. I also kept the box for the masterlocks in case they wanted to see them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users