APC Forum

Aluminium Powder for Glitter

Svimmer

That looks to be a coarse granular Al and most glitters use a fine mesh flake.

Alright well il give it a try and see what i get.

That looks quite a bit too coarse for most pyro uses except maybe slowing down thermite comps. You could definitely give it a try, but it looks to me like a -40+60 Mesh gade whereas most glitters call for 325 mesh which is fine enough that you cant see any particles what so ever. It may indeed be too coarse to start burning in the star at all. Overall, I say it wouldn't work but if you already have the stuff then sure, give it a try!

Regards, AP

That looks quite a bit too coarse for most pyro uses except maybe slowing down thermite comps. You could definitely give it a try, but it looks to me like a -40+60 Mesh gade whereas most glitters call for 325 mesh which is fine enough that you cant see any particles what so ever. It may indeed be too coarse to start burning in the star at all. Overall, I say it wouldn't work but if you already have the stuff then sure, give it a try!

Regards, AP

How long would you run it in ball mill then ? 5 days ?

5-7 days would probably do it, but I couldn't be sure, it might be longer. Have you milled Al before?

Regards, AP

Edited by AustralianPyromaniac

5-7 days would probably do it, but I couldn't be sure, it might be longer. Have you milled Al before?

Regards, AP

No i have never milled AL before but i will read about it before i do

I think I would consult Lloyd before milling metals. He had an event during the process.

I think I would consult Lloyd before milling metals. He had an event during the process.

Chemicals is very difficult to get in Norway. So thats the easiest way to get it.

Edited by Sondre

Chemicals is very difficult to get in Norway. So thats the easiest way to get it.

Not entirely sure, but i think a much more suitable stock is available at your local painters supply. They tend to have aluminum powders available as paint additives. Generally flake type powder.

Edited by MrB

Not entirely sure, but i think a much more suitable stock is available at your local painters supply. They tend to have aluminum powders available as paint additives. Generally flake type powder.

Can look it up and see what i find. Im pretty sure that they dont sell it.

Can look it up and see what i find. Im pretty sure that they dont sell it.

Have you looked on EU Ebay sites? I know Norway is not part of the EU, but it's my understanding that it's pretty easy to ship product from the EU to Norway... Since you are looking for a 'glitter' sized particle and not your 'taboo' flash powder if you find an Ebay seller that will label it as aluminum flake additive/pigment for cold casting or paint on the customs form I doubt it would get flagged by customs as that is a legitimate and 'kosher' use for it... But, of course I could be wrong, as I have not actually looked to see if it's a prohibited item in your country...

Another option, although cost prohibitive is to extract it from 'aluminum' paint, basically just pick up some 'aluminum' paint, let it sit and settle for a few weeks then draw off the actual 'paint' on top leaving the settled mess of aluminum powder at the bottom of the can, then transfer to a clean jar and rinse 2 or 3 times with acetone or another similar solvent... You should be able to recover about 1/7 to 1/5 the paint can volume in aluminum flake...

• Like 2

MY glitter aluminium comes from supplier for artists and craftsmens' materials for sculptors. -One way of making aluminium looking resin statues is to load the top layer heavily with aluminium powder. -well it's 200 - 300micron spherical.

Sorry I can't name the supplier of sculptor's materials in your country.

• Like 1

Try that in an un-choked gerb. It may be large enough to exit the tube before it gets consumed and make a nice display. I recently was reading a thread somewhere in which a granular Al was specified but I've had no luck locating it. I'm thinking I commented on it so should be able to find it tomorrow.
  • Like 1

I promise im not following you around with a club, but most glitters call for fine atomized/spherical/spherodial/granular, not flake.

I promise im not following you around with a club, but most glitters call for fine atomized/spherical/spherodial/granular, not flake.

ahh Patrick needs to be beat around the head and shoulders every now and then... it gives him character..

yes well...he's quite a character already! skylighter is having a last gasp 75% off 10lb lots of aluminum some of which look perfect for glitters.

I have used quite coarse Al in D1 glitter. Give it a try. It's cheap and contains easily available ingredients.

Fire it from a star gun or rocket heading to get an idea of how it looks.

You could always try sieving the Al as it may be of mixed mesh and if so, use the fine stuff for glitter and the bigger stuff for gerbs.

• Like 1