APC Forum

NightHawkInLight used to post here?!

billysundays

That's awesome! I love his Youtube channel. His videos got me into make huge bubbles and spinning steel wool "fireworks".

Which reminds me, last Independence Day, we went to see the fireworks at Liberty State Park, which is right across New York City. There's a 9/11 memorial at the park called "Empty Sky", you can google pictures of it. Its two long parallel walls that points to where the Twin Towers use to stand, and the inside of the walls are lined with gleeming steel, engraved with the names of the victims.

If you look at a picture off the inside, you'll see that the way light reflects against those walls look amazing, so I thought it was a perfect place and time to spin some wool, and the effect was amazing. I didn't get any video myself, but there were plenty of onlookers who pulled out their phones. A guy played back for me what he recorded, and it looked stunning, all those sparks reflecting off the walls. Can't wait to try it again next year and get some good video to show you guys. As far as I can tell, no one has tried this and put up a video of it anywhere as of yet.

Side note; I had tested this idea previously by spinning the sparks against an aluminum baking sheet to see if the sparks would leave any marks, which they didn't, and they didn't mark the memorial walls either, thank god. I couldn't be sure if they possibly had some sort of protective coating that might get marred by the sparks, but they're as shiny as ever.

Edited by billysundays

I was pointed to this forum by NHIL in a conversation on one of his video's comment sections. He used to be a frequent poster but I guess the YouTube stuff keeps him busy now. Definitely an eclectic roster on his channel.

• Like 1

Met the guy a few years back...does nice work :)

There was a legal concern with regard to the ATF at one point, so he kind of backed away. It was unclear if making money from ads in his videos legally put him in commerce, and thus subject to all additional ATF and DOT regulations. He stopped making material until he could get it ironed out, and I guess mostly has just never really regained the detailed interest he used to have.

I've met and hung out with him several times. Extremely nice guy. We still chat occasionally.