APC Forum

Best Way To Make Fuse

Svimmer

Sondre, I'm not shure I follow what you are saying. You tested a damp BP comp wrapped in plastic wrap?

Instead of using milldust, I tried using the fines from granulating BP which pass thru a 40 mesh screen. It created a micro granated powder which is fine enough to allow the plastic to stretch but it flows without making a mess.

Edited by NeighborJ

Sondre, I'm not shure I follow what you are saying. You tested a damp BP comp wrapped in plastic wrap?

Instead of using milldust, I tried using the fines from granulating BP which pass thru a 40 mesh screen. It created a micro granated powder which is fine enough to allow the plastic to stretch but it flows without making a mess.

Just so the BP turns more solid in the wrap. I used milled BP before and it started to fall out after a while so i started to prime the tip. but i was happy with the result i got with the method i tested so any prime is not needed.

• 2 weeks later...

@Sondre, well done!

The best solution is the simplest, and this sure is simple, again well done!

• Like 1

This composition made a really nice fuse.
Flamethrowing black powder
74.30% Potassium Nitrate
21.80% Charcoal
3.90% Sulfur

Sondre, I have to say there is something mesmerizing about watching that video - can't help watching it.... ooohhh shiny!! :)

I couldn't work out if the video was your own or posted from somewhere else - I assume it was yours, but I guess it doesn't really matter.

So was the composition formula posted above the one used - or one you have tested and works well?

Sondre, I have to say there is something mesmerizing about watching that video - can't help watching it.... ooohhh shiny!! :)

I couldn't work out if the video was your own or posted from somewhere else - I assume it was yours, but I guess it doesn't really matter.

So was the composition formula posted above the one used - or one you have tested and works well?

It is my own video. It was not the composition i used in the video but i tested that composition after and it makes a beautiful fuse with alot of sparks.

Ok, thanks Sondre.

I don't have a great need for visco and the like, but that method appeals to me. I wouldn't be making a lot, so the burning of plastics from an environmental aspect I can live with. I've got a couple weeks off over Xmas, so in the interests of science I may have a crack at it. :)

I just had a look at my reserves of "cling wrap" and I've got the usual "glad wrap" and a generic brand that actually says "super stretch". I just did a simple test rolling some. There is a good amount of stretch and then it just "stops". I think it will be ok.

As with most things, there is a technique, and it doesn't come as easy as it looks.

Cheers.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Might want to work on that one a bit more before committing it to a shell. Seemed a bit erratic.

• Like 1

Might want to work on that one a bit more before committing it to a shell. Seemed a bit erratic.

Yeah it is not something i would put on a 6 inch shell. I use it for small shells. If i put black powder on all layers then it burns more consistent

Edited by Sondre

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but does anyone know what the method was? Currently I'm having to make fuses with sugar and saltpetre that go bad after a day or two but the video is private and I can't buy thee proper visco stuff where I live.

So Captain Planet will give us his blessing? It's got to be better than my idea of using juvenile bald eagle quill feathers stuffed with BP and covered with a heavy coating of oils derived from baby seal blubber.

Sometimes I’m grateful for the old threads being dug up. :D that’s a hoot!

• 2 weeks later...
I believe it was something like rolling up bp with plastic wrap and twisting/stretching it out into a thin fuse.

Lonforbes, (my apologies if I've misinterpreted)

Many thanks for the video link.

The channel is one that I hadn't yet discovered and it has some very interesting

subject matter.

My apologies if this was already discussed, but something that may help is milling black powder without a binder (such as dextrin or red gum), wetting it, and then crushing it before "wrapping it."

Okay, so I made a few batches of the Kno3/sugar/yarn fuse a week or so ago it tested okay but just read that it doesn't store well? Is this true?

I've found you can store sugar fuse reasonably long (a few weeks at least) if you dust on a light coating of anhydrous coppper sulphate. Best to just make it within a day or two of use.

• 3 months later...
Get some tissue paper (wrapping type & not the ones you grab when you have the corona virus), cut strips of around 2 inches wide & your desired length. Grab a glue stick & nearly cover the paper that's facing you with it, then get some black powder, place it in a small container & sprinkle a line down the centre of the length of tissue paper then fold in half (not lengthways but top to bottom, pressing down on the half folded paper with black powder now running lengthways in-between the fold. Wait for it to dry a bit, then run your glue stick only on one side of it & roll up at roughly a 45° angle so it slightly twists lengthways. Let fully dry & twist a bit more then it's ready to use.