61 replies to this topic

#41 MrB

MrB

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:00 PM

LDPE, is still an oil product. When people claim it produces only carbon-dioxide and water while burning, they are, possibly inadvertently, referring to high temperature burning in incinerators with additives, controlled air-flows, and gas filtration. But that isn't really my point. I just don't like plastic in my pyro, unless it really has to be there. No plastic shells, no hot melt glue, and no cling film.

#42 NeighborJ

NeighborJ

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts
  • Interests:Rig welder, trecky, amateur rocketry

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:55 PM

I completely agree B, I take every effort to use only biodegradable material in pyro BUT I have peeled back the coating on visco and found that it does have a thin plastic sheath. What it is made from IDK but I've seen other brands with a tissue paper sheath my point is that hydrocarbons are everywhere in pyro, time fuse has tar, many use tared spiking, paraffin for tubes, heck even lampblack is made from hydrocarbons. It can't be avoided, I guess it is a question of how much is to much, it parallels the age old argument of what is an acceptable risk? Pyro has risk and what is acceptable is going to vary for every hobbyist. So for those who can stomach burning a gram or two of LDPE every once in a while this could be for you, if not, then there is no harm with refrain.

Jason
  • Svimmer likes this

#43 MrB

MrB

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:04 PM

I completely agree B, I take every effort to use only biodegradable material in pyro BUT I have peeled back the coating on visco and found that it does have a thin plastic sheath. What it is made from IDK but I've seen other brands with a tissue paper sheath my point is that hydrocarbons are everywhere in pyro, time fuse has tar, many use tared spiking, paraffin for tubes, heck even lampblack is made from hydrocarbons. It can't be avoided, I guess it is a question of how much is to much, it parallels the age old argument of what is an acceptable risk? Pyro has risk and what is acceptable is going to vary for every hobbyist. So for those who can stomach burning a gram or two of LDPE every once in a while this could be for you, if not, then there is no harm with refrain.

Jason

"My" visco, never had a plastic sheet in it, i did have a source that provided reinforced visco, with a paper layer inside. The fuse was perfect for making "multi shot cakes" without having to cut and bend a bunch of visco, but rather just pull straight trough all the tubes in one length. For what ever reason the retailer that sold this, no longer deals with pyro at all, and i have no idea where they sourced it.

But it's one of the reasons i want to make my own, if i ever can get my hands on a machine.

Timefuse, does use tar. It can be petrolium based, or from wood. In both cases i pretty much don't use time fuse, as much a cost saving, as it is anything else, and instead use a spollette, or two.

Vaxing tubes... Since i don't do rockets, i don't wax. If i was looking to wax something, i'm sure beeswax could be used as a replacement. But that is just speculation.

Lamp black... while it can be made from a few different renewable sources, i don't know of any retailer that actually specifies the source.

Anyhow, i still use parlon for colors. As i wrote... I don't like using plastic unless it actually has to be there, in my pyro. Sort of hard to do colors without chlorine donors.

#44 AllisterF

AllisterF

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:18 PM

I choose my devil

I'm just going to quote that, because it's very relevant and bluntly true...

Some food for thought about pollution and carbon footprints, for those visiting websites like this one for example...

http://www.howthiswe...n-footprint.php

#45 MrB

MrB

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:58 AM

I'm just going to quote that, because it's very relevant and bluntly true...

Funny enough, that is what i said in the post that seems to have triggered all this:

I'll be staying away from it for that reason alone, but everyone else has to make up their minds.

#46 muxolini

muxolini

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:47 PM

In my opinion this is the easiest way to make a good fuse.

Ty man very good :) 

• Svimmer likes this

#47 Svimmer

Svimmer

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Pyrotechnic

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:29 PM

This composition made a really nice fuse.

Flamethrowing black powder

74.30% Potassium Nitrate
21.80% Charcoal
3.90% Sulfur

Edited by Sondre, 17 November 2017 - 11:29 PM.

#48 Exo

Exo

Playing with fire

• Donator - HE
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 09:53 PM

Thanks for this great idea, it works very well.
I even tested it under water with no extra sealing just the stretch wrap, and it burns well fully submerged
  • Svimmer likes this

#49 Svimmer

Svimmer

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:08 PM

Thanks for this great idea, it works very well.
I even tested it under water with no extra sealing just the stretch wrap, and it burns well fully submerged

Great to hear.

#50 Svimmer

Svimmer

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:04 PM

Tested to add some dextrin to the black powder and damped it a little and made a fuse with this method and it worked better then with dry powder.

#51 NeighborJ

NeighborJ

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts
  • Interests:Rig welder, trecky, amateur rocketry

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:50 PM

Sondre, I'm not shure I follow what you are saying. You tested a damp BP comp wrapped in plastic wrap?

Instead of using milldust, I tried using the fines from granulating BP which pass thru a 40 mesh screen. It created a micro granated powder which is fine enough to allow the plastic to stretch but it flows without making a mess.

Edited by NeighborJ, 15 December 2017 - 10:51 PM.

#52 Svimmer

Svimmer

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:05 AM

Sondre, I'm not shure I follow what you are saying. You tested a damp BP comp wrapped in plastic wrap?

Instead of using milldust, I tried using the fines from granulating BP which pass thru a 40 mesh screen. It created a micro granated powder which is fine enough to allow the plastic to stretch but it flows without making a mess.

Just so the BP turns more solid in the wrap.  I used milled BP before and it started to fall out after a while so i started to prime the tip. but i was happy with the result i got with the method i tested so any prime is not needed.

#53 Simoski

Simoski

Pyromaniac

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Electrochemistry, Pyrotechnics, Explosives, Physics, Programming

Posted 24 December 2017 - 01:58 PM

@Sondre, well done!

The best solution is the simplest, and this sure is simple, again well done!

• Svimmer likes this

#54 Bigmark

Bigmark

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 08:53 PM

Hot dam I got to try this thank you for sharing.
  • Svimmer likes this

#55 stix

stix

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:Pyrotechnics, Model Rocketry, Programming, Photography

Posted 25 December 2017 - 03:40 AM

This composition made a really nice fuse.

Flamethrowing black powder

74.30% Potassium Nitrate
21.80% Charcoal
3.90% Sulfur

Sondre, I have to say there is something mesmerizing about watching that video - can't help watching it.... ooohhh shiny!! :)

I couldn't work out if the video was your own or posted from somewhere else - I assume it was yours, but I guess it doesn't really matter.

So was the composition formula posted above the one used - or one you have tested and works well?

I just start the conversation - someone else has to question them.

#56 Svimmer

Svimmer

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 03:59 AM

Sondre, I have to say there is something mesmerizing about watching that video - can't help watching it.... ooohhh shiny!! :)

I couldn't work out if the video was your own or posted from somewhere else - I assume it was yours, but I guess it doesn't really matter.

So was the composition formula posted above the one used - or one you have tested and works well?

It is my own video. It was not the composition i used in the video but i tested that composition after and it makes a beautiful fuse with alot of sparks.

#57 stix

stix

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:Pyrotechnics, Model Rocketry, Programming, Photography

Posted 25 December 2017 - 07:26 AM

Ok, thanks Sondre.

I don't have a great need for visco and the like, but that method appeals to me. I wouldn't be making a lot, so the burning of plastics from an environmental aspect I can live with. I've got a couple weeks off over Xmas, so in the interests of science I may have a crack at it. :)

I just had a look at my reserves of "cling wrap" and I've got the usual "glad wrap" and a generic brand that actually says "super stretch". I just did a simple test rolling some. There is a good amount of stretch and then it just "stops". I think it will be ok.

As with most things, there is a technique, and it doesn't come as easy as it looks.

Cheers.

• Svimmer likes this

I just start the conversation - someone else has to question them.

#58 Svimmer

Svimmer

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:31 PM

Here is some time fuses i made

#59 OldMarine

OldMarine

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Interests:Interests? Everything interesting!

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:43 PM

Might want to work on that one a bit more before committing it to a shell. Seemed a bit erratic.

• Svimmer likes this
Come on! Name one other hobby in which you cheer as your money and hard work go up in smoke!

#60 Svimmer

Svimmer

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:30 PM

Might want to work on that one a bit more before committing it to a shell. Seemed a bit erratic.

Yeah it is not something i would put on a 6 inch shell. I use it for small shells. If i put black powder on all layers then it burns more consistent

Edited by Sondre, 17 January 2018 - 10:31 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fuse, How to make fuse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users