APC Forum

lift charge for my first large canister shell ?

RiderX

i finally built my first canister shell , which also happens to be the largest shell ive done yet

its a 3 x 5 inch canister shell and weighs in at 329g

normally i use about 22-25g of my homeade bp to lift a 160g ish 3 inch ball shell , any suggestions on what i should use for this shell

this shell has a very good fit in the tube and is a lil tighter then my finished ball shells , just enough room to get my qm in the tube witht he shell and still let the shell slide easy into the tube

im using an 18 inch long mortar tube , and has a 2.5 second time fuse in the shell

10% of the shell weight should be a good starting point. Weaker lift will need a bit more.

10% of the shell weight should be a good starting point. Weaker lift will need a bit more.

im already above 10% on my 3 inch stuff , so im not sure were to go one this one considering ts more then 2x as heavy

Edited by RiderX

Its kinda hard to overlift a 3" shell. 10% should be fine, I fit all my shells as tight as you describe. The heavy shells can use the slower lift better, especially if they fit tight , they need a push rather than an explosion. You won't be disappointed.

Its kinda hard to overlift a 3" shell. 10% should be fine, I fit all my shells as tight as you describe. The heavy shells can use the slower lift better, especially if they fit tight , they need a push rather than an explosion. You won't be disappointed.

ill find out in about 2 hours, im goigng to go with 35 g or so of lift powder , im not worried about over lifting it im worried about a low break

k i put 35g under it , will shoot it in an hour or 1.5 hurs when it gets dark , cross ur fingers for me guys should be a nice shell

Well? Don't keep me in suspense, I'm sittin on the edge of my seat here. C'mon it should've been five minutes ago.

Well? Don't keep me in suspense, I'm sittin on the edge of my seat here. C'mon it should've been five minutes ago.

was a really clear night waited a bit longer for it to get darker , lift was perfect , tail was perfect shell was ok , will post video shortly

being my first canister shell and not thinking i had enough bp for burst in it i accidently over boosted the shell , lots of it blew blind but those stars werent primed either

next shell wont be boosted nearly as much

the lift + time fuse timing + tail was perfect though

the canister was loaded the 1st 1/3rd with TT the 2nd 3rd with N1, and the 3rd 3rd with TT

Edited by RiderX

Definitely broke it too hard and I think it had too much lift IMHO.

I aim for a slightly shorter than normal height on my cylinder shells. I aim to have my finished shells to be the same height as diameter. This means fewer stars but much more containment and therefore a better burst in my experience which is limited to only a few dozen shells. Take that and $2 a and you can get a decent cup of coffee

Definitely broke it too hard and I think it had too much lift IMHO.

I aim for a slightly shorter than normal height on my cylinder shells. I aim to have my finished shells to be the same height as diameter. This means fewer stars but much more containment and therefore a better burst in my experience which is limited to only a few dozen shells. Take that and $2 a and you can get a decent cup of coffee

im just about to start on my next one , im going to leave it 3x5 just for now so im only changing one thing in it at a time, if it works better then i will make the following shell 3x3 .

i dont want to make alot of changes at once

im not going to boost this next shell at all

how much would u say i need to back off on the lift 5 grams or maybe a lil more?

i dont drink coffee but a monster will do instead :)

The tight fit of that shell shouldn't need any more than 10% lift (32g max before adding the rising effect), its amazing how a little bit of compression really speeds up the burn. I like to break mine at 3 seconds which is usually right at appogee.

Somehow I already guessed you were a monster drinker.

The tight fit of that shell shouldn't need any more than 10% lift (32g max before adding the rising effect), its amazing how a little bit of compression really speeds up the burn. I like to break mine at 3 seconds which is usually right at appogee.

Somehow I already guessed you were a monster drinker.

im actually trying to quit the monsters , i used to drink 4 daily , and once in a while 6 a day , last few weeks ive been down to a single can per day and some days none at all

i broke that shell at 2.5-2.75 seconds , next one ill cut back to 30-32g of lift and see how it does

so ive got the rest of the day off of work and im starting on another canister shell .

my options are 100% TT

100% N1

or a mix of N1 and TT again

something else i thought of was making the canister 100% tt and make a 2.5 inch ball shell lightly pasted and broken very soft to put ontop of the canister , and have it fused so it bursts about 150 ft up

that last one might be to much considering im still tryin to get the canister to work properly

Edited by RiderX

i made 2 shells instead , 1 is 2 parts TT 1 part N1

the other is 100% N1

no booster , same rising effect as before and ill back the lift down a lil bit , ill shoot them tonigh and see if i get any improvement over the one last night

much much much better

first shell N1 glitter 0 booster

shell #2 2 parts TT 1 part N1 5g of booster , camea didnt pick up alot of the glitter

The shell with the booster looks really good! What charcoal do you use?

airfloat from skylighter

@RiderX.

The #2 shell is looking good. It is going much better now. What kind of booster did you use.

70/30 flash

thanks guys

i made a mistake guys the full n1 shell was the boosted shell , the 2nd shell the tt and n1 was not boosted , so im going to stick with no booster

Awe man, how are we gonna be able to forgive such a mistake? Hehe, its amazing how hard a properly built shell can burst without a booster. You seem to have mastered harnessing the power of BP. You are now ready.https://youtu.be/G7MoXPxA5LM

Awe man, how are we gonna be able to forgive such a mistake? Hehe, its amazing how hard a properly built shell can burst without a booster. You seem to have mastered harnessing the power of BP. You are now ready.https://youtu.be/G7MoXPxA5LM

lmao

buying that milled potasium nitrate deffinatly helped over the granulated and coffe grinder stuff i was using , now i cant wait for the good charcoal to get here , and then eventually make a nice jar for my ball mill.

though ill be honest of the charcoal alone improves it that much more i may just skip the ball milling and keep making it the way i have been