APC Forum

Weird Crystals forming in chlorate cell with graphite

Scorpion812

Chlorate produces compounds that are more sensitive than the usual perc or nitrate compounds, Chloride, chlorite and hypochlorite are much more sensitising to chlorate mixes which is unnecessary to outright dangerous.

Maximise the yield of chlorate then freeze crystalise the solution and filter it. Then purify the chlorate and recrystalise it again.

This is why I don't like graphite anode. It sheds no matter what and then you gotta somehow get the graphite out. MMO gives you clean chlorate as it does not shed at all.

You really need to run your cell for a week or more before you're going to get anything. If you're using KCl you should have chlorate percipitating out directly. If you are using NaCl then you will have to keep running the cell and adding salt because NaClO3 is more soluble than salt. You won't even see any crystals unless you ran it for several weeks.

I don't like the use of carbon electrodes because of their tendency to shed flakes or dust that is hard to filter out.

I don't like the electrolysis of potassium salts because they are less soluble than sodium salts and this can give any electrode a hard time leading to earlier failure.

(1) I don't like the use of carbon electrodes because of their tendency to shed flakes or dust that is hard to filter out.

(2) I don't like the electrolysis of potassium salts because they are less soluble than sodium salts and this can give any electrode a hard time leading to earlier failure.

(1) I agree

(2) I disagree for just that reason; The desired product (potassium chlorate in particular) drops out of solution as it forms when the concentration is high enough, and that makes recovery a simpler process.

As for potassium salts causing problems for the anode, I haven't noticed this while using modern MMO on titanium. Perhaps with other anodes this is an issue; I don't know.

WSM B)

(1) I agree

(2) I disagree for just that reason; The desired product (potassium chlorate in particular) drops out of solution as it forms when the concentration is high enough, and that makes recovery a simpler process.

As for potassium salts causing problems for the anode, I haven't noticed this while using modern MMO on titanium. Perhaps with other anodes this is an issue; I don't know.

WSM B)

I think he meant that if they precipitate on the electrode, covering area, thus rising current density, the electrode can be damaged, but this problem can easily be solved by keeping it off the bottom of the cell and even if it happens, it shouldn't be a problem only if it is covered excessively.

It a little late but thanks for clearing that ClO & ClO2 stuff up mumbles! I will heed your advice in future and apply it myself.

Regards, AP

• 1 year later...

I have seen these types of things especially when using carbon anodes. I am not sure whether there is a correlation.

https://ibb.co/g8CnyV

IIRC it also had some sodium Chloride added on top of KCL.

So I am guessing its something to do with Carbon anodes, and starting with NaCl.

It should be noted that these are still considered Monoclinic .

I just tested the stuff, it burns fast as hell with sugar, 5g gone in an instant

That sounds like a good sign. Do stay back when testing, nobody looks good with scorched eyebrows ;).

WSM B)

Also is it normal if thsi stuff really smepls like bleach? Because i didnt destroy hypochlorites yet

In the running cell, the electrolyte forms hypochlorite as the first step to chlorate; so yes, that's normal.

WSM B)

Edit: in my sodium chlorate experiments, I noticed that leaving the drying crystals on the filter paper (on a glass plate) for several days, worked to diminish the bleach smell. I'm guessing air drying and possibly also light exposure may have helped destroy some, if not all, of the hypochlorite residue. CAUTION: the dried filter papers burned like flash paper. Be careful with chlorate soaked organic materials.

Edited by WSM