APC Forum

Asaster420

Has anyone else started at the "bottom" of pyrotechnicnia? Well here's what I came up with after watching YouTube and "fixing" the comp ratio. This is also my first try uploading a video so....is there a better way to show a video? Like do I have to post to YouTube then link here?

Thanks

• Like 1

Ok good, when I try it there is a bar on the screen and no movement?!? Glad you can see it and glad you like it.

YES! The paper is almost the only thing that matters. There are basically only a few vids on Tube, the guy that can't recreate and the school teacher. I started with the 6:3:1 (kno3, sulfur, charcoal) with various papers till I bought the prescribed party streamer (I liked the red). Only with the streamer did I see any balling/sparkling.

First issue is the comp was wayyy too fast. This is where I left science for faster fun (results). I put a few spoons of 6:3:1 from a micro batch into a cup and added two spoons, or so, maybe less, of sulfur straight from the bag. I saw what I call balling, where the puddle of ash starts forming-this ball is where the sparks come from. I wanted more spark so I added some unmilled charcoal, half a spoon- I know, great measure. I got about 33% to work with some manipulating by blowing and starting the senko hanabi upside down. So now that I can plainly see I'm a genius, I added some sponge ti for more sparks. Ok, back to super fast, duh, I knew better.

What seemed to be more of an issue than the comp ratio was the lack of strength of the paper to hold the ball. I started using the full width streamer with an added 3/16" of streamer laid down the center. This change, along with remaking a similar comp using the same bowl of 6:3:1 with some extra sulfur, has me currently at about 50% success.

I think the comp needs just a bit more "fixing" and most will work, even the failures that drop and spall look cool. Obviously I need to be measuring my additions but got excited by the early success.

Enjoyment of the senko hanabi may not be for everyone because of how small the effect is, but I really enjoy it. (And not a single angry, woke up neighbor.)