APC Forum

Sr(NO3)2 purple star compositions

redbullzuiper

As some of you might know, I really like purple and blue star compositions. But because I am living in the Netherlands, I cannot permit KClO4 or KClO3.

So I was discussing with some people in this topic, and came with a really good purple star composition using only a Nitrate as oxidizer. (Thanks to NeighborJ and OldMarine)

I just tweaked Ned Gorksi's Red rubber star composition.

Purple #1:

53% Strontium Nitrate,

19% Magnalium,

17% Parlon,

11% Red Gum.

+12% Copper (II) Oxide

Needs a good prime to ignite. BP + Si.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFT89DoX40k

Purple #2:

43% Strontium Nitrate,

10% Sulfer

19% Magnalium,

17% Parlon,

11% Red Gum.

+12% Copper (II) Oxide

Added the sulfur to decrease the temperature to ignite it.

ignites much easier than Purple #1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-82_KX_Up8&feature=youtu.be

I wanted to test Purple #2, but unfortunately the weather was to bad. So I try again tomorrow. When tested inside the 2.5" shell, I will add the video of it.

P.S. Don't worry, it's just filmed slow-motion. They don't actually burn that slow ;)

Richard

Edited by redbullzuiper
  • Like 2

From the discussion in the other thread it's interesting to see that you accomplished the last purple by reducing SrNO3 and add sulfur! Have you tried changing the amount of CuO to this two?

I did try 8% aswell, thats where i started. But that gave me more pink than purple. But I think reducing it to 10-11% will work too. But then it will be more if a light purple which has more of a pink color. Atleast, thats my guess.

If you make the comp into stars it will change the burn rate thus changing its color. A star in flight receives oxygen from the atmosphere which will also change the color. Anytime i test a new comp i make stars, prime and test them in flight, even if I toss it into the air with a leather glove. This is the only way to get a true sense of how it will burn and look in the sky.

Blue is a color easily washed out with light from metals, if you desire a deeper purple, reduce the MgAl content. From what I've seen from other comps, the addition of surfer can free up a bit of chlorine to help with achieving a good color saturation. There are many ways to tweek these formulas and get the desired effects.

Jason

If you make the comp into stars it will change the burn rate thus changing its color. A star in flight receives oxygen from the atmosphere which will also change the color. Anytime i test a new comp i make stars, prime and test them in flight, even if I toss it into the air with a leather glove. This is the only way to get a true sense of how it will burn and look in the sky.

Blue is a color easily washed out with light from metals, if you desire a deeper purple, reduce the MgAl content. From what I've seen from other comps, the addition of surfer can free up a bit of chlorine to help with achieving a good color saturation. There are many ways to tweek these formulas and get the desired effects.

Jason

Tonight I will fire a 2.5" shell with this comp. They have a simple BP prime. Ill post a video when tested. Lets see how they perform in the air. If they fail, I can indeed tweak them more.

Sulfur freeing up chlorine only works with chlorates and perchlorates. It wont have the same effect here. It does have other added benefits in some cases though.

• 2 weeks later...

I will post the video tomorrow. I was really bizzy last days.

I can atleast tell that color in the sky appeared more red. So I think ive to lower the Strontium to get a better color

Those looked more purple than red to me. Maybe magenta? How did they look in person?

I liked it and I'm glad they light so easily. If you want more of a purple you can always continue to tweek the formula with more copper (II) oxide or a bit less MgAl. The SrNO3 is the only oxidizer in the formula so if you lessen that, it may make it more difficult to light.

Great color, I may give it a try this weekend.

Jason

As some of you might know, I really like purple and blue star compositions. But because I am living in the Netherlands, I cannot permit KClO4 or KClO3.

So I was discussing with some people in this topic, and came with a really good purple star composition using only a Nitrate as oxidizer. (Thanks to NeighborJ and OldMarine)

You, my friend, are awesome!

Thank you so much for this. I don't have the necessary quantities of chemicals to perform tests like these.

• Like 1

Hey, I respect the testing efforts too! I don't want to seem like a party pooper here, but the purple in the second to last video was gorgeous. The color in the last video did not look purple at all to me. It looked pinkish red.

Hey, I respect the testing efforts too! I don't want to seem like a party pooper here, but the purple in the second to last video was gorgeous. The color in the last video did not look purple at all to me. It looked pinkish red.

Dave, I'm starting to think that you and Mason live to poop on parties. Give a guy some credit for using unusual chems with good results! :D

• Like 1

I made sure to give credit twice while making an observation (which coincided with the OP's). Sometimes being nice and being honest aren't the same thing. I try to be both, but it doesn't always work.

• Like 2

I made sure to give credit twice while making an observation (which coincided with the OP's). Sometimes being nice and being honest aren't the same thing. I try to be both, but it doesn't always work.

They look different when you make stars of it and shoot it into the air. Watch the last video I posted when I tested them inside a shell. The test in the first post was a lose pile, like 5 grams.

Its true, some people say: 'Hey thats purple', while others say: 'Hey, thats pink'. I do think that people do see colors differently than others. I did like the second one more than the first one. Its a personal choice I think.

You can tweak the color yourself by increasing the Strontium nitrate, or decrease it and increase the CuO.

I think its cool people can make purple without using KClO4. For europeans this might be a nice alternative.

Oh, and I do take you honesty as a compliment. Not only to myself, but to you too ;)

• 1 year later...

This has been a continuing discussion lately, and I think its an interesting challenge! To me, the formulas above are distinctly PINK, which isn't a bad thing, but isn't purple.

I am going to start with the #2 formula above and see if I can't get it to what I consider purple.

Purple #2:

43% Strontium Nitrate,

10% Sulfer

19% Magnalium,

17% Parlon,

11% Red Gum.

+12% Copper (II) Oxide

• 4 years later...
On 8/31/2017 at 2:41 AM, redbullzuiper said:

Purple #1:

53% Strontium Nitrate,

19% Magnalium,

17% Parlon,

11% Red Gum.

+12% Copper (II) Oxide

Needs a good prime to ignite. BP + Si.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFT89DoX40k

Purple #2:

43% Strontium Nitrate,

10% Sulfer

19% Magnalium,

17% Parlon,

11% Red Gum.

+12% Copper (II) Oxide

Added the sulfur to decrease the temperature to ignite it.

ignites much easier than Purple #1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-82_KX_Up8&feature=youtu.be

I wanted to test Purple #2, but unfortunately the weather was to bad. So I try again tomorrow. When tested inside the 2.5" shell, I will add the video of it.

P.S. Don't worry, it's just filmed slow-motion. They don't actually burn that slow ;)

Richard

How use prime

Black powder plus 10 percent additional silicon ignites well.

There are other hot prime formulations too but if you are begineer this is simplest prime and works too.

You need prime to burn hot and for this to happen you need to add metal in it.