APC Forum

Does this power supply fits the needs for a Chlorate Cell?

redbullzuiper

Im from a place where Chlorates and Perchlorates are banned (EU). So i want to build my own Chlorate cell.

Link to power supply:

http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/1389713/Labornetzgeraet-einstellbar-Basetech-BT-155-0-15-VDC-0-5-A-75-W-Anzahl-Ausgaenge-1-x

Highlights & details

• 0 – 15 V/DC / 0 – 5 A
  • 75 W maximum output
  • Linear regulated
  • Automatic switching between constant voltage and constant current modes

Description

Infinitely adjustable power supply. The automatic switching between constant voltage and constant
current operation, together with the infinitely adjustable output voltage and current limiting, make this
power supply the perfect entry-level model for hobbies and model building. Both the output current
and the output voltage are displayed on both LED displays.

Can I just buy this one? Or is do I have to look further?

I need chlorates to finaly be able to make good stars. Like blue and purple stars, which are my favorites. Currently I can only get nitrate oxidisers. There are plenty of beautifull colors which are nitrate based, but none of my favorites :/

Thanks for any replies and/or feedback.

It will work, but SLOWLY! Current is directly proportional to rate of production, 5A is a small cell, 25A a moderate cell 100A a big home cell.

This is why several people have started with an ATX power supply from a computer, the 5v rail is usually good for 25A. Also ATX PSUs are usually good for 24/7 duty whereas most cheap psu's are not and will cook after 12 - 24 hours.

It will work, but SLOWLY! Current is directly proportional to rate of production, 5A is a small cell, 25A a moderate cell 100A a big home cell.

This is why several people have started with an ATX power supply from a computer, the 5v rail is usually good for 25A. Also ATX PSUs are usually good for 24/7 duty whereas most cheap psu's are not and will cook after 12 - 24 hours.

Hm, ok. So then this is not a good bang-for-the-buck PSU. Im a little scared to mess arround with a PSU. I have an old 500W PSU at home. So I think I go read that tutorial again on how to convert that PSU to a chlorate power supply.

Do you perhaps have some extra external links for me, which briefly explain how to mod a PC PSU?

No links but youtube usually helps. Most old users of ATX psu's just moderated the current by spacing the electrodes. Maybe 10mm maybe 50mm

Ok, I will check it out and post my progress here when I start actualy building it. Atm gaining some more information to make sure Im familair with any risks etc.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by redbullzuiper

• 3 months later...

Here try my tutorial on how to rewire an atx power supply for electrochemistry:

• Like 2