APC Forum

Mumbles... a difference since changing my email addy

lloyd

Mumb,

We've been forced by ATT to change inet providers. My email address changed.

I was able to negotiate the change here on APC, but a couple of things have changed:

1) I may be wrong, but I thought I was able to PM you before the change. I cannot, now.

2) I definitely was able to stay logged on always before the change. Now it logs me out every night, and I cannot locate the setting that allows me to stay logged-in.

Thanks for any advice!

Lloyd

I'll look into the first part, as that is strange. I did get something from you Monday afternoon, but it sounded like the problem resolved itself.

As far as the staying logged in thing, the forum always does this to me too. Any time I change e-mail addresses, or computers, or internet providers it takes a while for the stay logged in function to actually work. I don't know what it is really. It seems like the cookies the forum uses just have to make sure you're serious. It's annoying I know. There is a check box when you login to stay logged in, but even this takes a while to fully take effect.

Ah... OK... when I log in, I'm probably missing that box. I was looking all-through my settings, etc.

Please, if you can effect it, allow my PM again! <grin> Otherwise, I'll wait on the system.

Thank you,

Lloyd

Edited by lloyd

PS... no. I just logged out and back in, and it asks to "remember me", but AFAIK that only affects 'pre-filling' of the login terms. There's no check-box for 'keep me logged in'.

Lloyd

Lloyd, I add the site to my favorites and click on it from there. Then, it always signs me in automatically. Maybe this could work for you?

Yeah, I can do that. But it always USED TO keep me logging in continuously. And I have not changed browsers!

Lloyd

• Like 1

I was googling this over my lunch break today. This may not all be correct, but it is the gist of what I found. To stay logged in, the forum functions by having a cookie on your computer or device with a 1 week refresh period. Every time you log in or access the forum it gets refreshed for another week. So as long as you're here at least once a week, it should keep you logged in.

The forum annoying will log you out of one device if you try to log in with another however. This is so there is only one active session, but it is more annoying than helpful. This is where the issue lies. When you get a new internet provider, you also get a new set of IP addresses. It takes a little while for the forum to build up a repository of IP address and device correlations. Until it "figures out the pattern" it is confused into thinking you're logging in from a new device every time. It goes away eventually. This happens to everyone, even me, and there isn't a lot I am capable of doing about it other than apologizing and telling you to keep with it.

As far as the pm thing could you check something for me? When you go into the messenger thing (http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/index.php?app=members&module=messaging) there should be a bar on the left side that says "Storage". There's a limit to the number of private messages a member can have in their inbox at any particular time. Just make sure that isn't maxed out. If it's not I'll snoop around, but just wanted to check the easy solution first.

PS... no. I just logged out and back in, and it asks to "remember me", but AFAIK that only affects 'pre-filling' of the login terms. There's no check-box for 'keep me logged in'.

Lloyd

No, the remember me box is what keeps you logged in. It does not at all pre-fill forms, that is a browser function, not a website function.

I suggest doing the following:

1) actively click the logout button (to force session close on server side)

2) delete cookies from this site (to force browser to forget session)

3) completely close all browser windows for a fresh session (in case anything was cached by browser)

4) login again, checking the remember me box (this is what keeps you logged in on a single device)