APC Forum

red gum bp on rice hulls?

RiderX

is this possible? i haven't been able to find a single thing on using red gum bp for rice hulls for burst or lift charges

i assume there's a reason that water/dextrin isn't used for unball milled powder and the alcohol is

Edited by RiderX

You could try dampening the hulls with alcohol and tumbling the powder in but I don't see that working too well. Why are you using red gum BP rather than dextrin bound?

You could try dampening the hulls with alcohol and tumbling the powder in but I don't see that working too well. Why are you using red gum BP rather than dextrin bound?

no ball mill yet otherwise i would be buying the water/dextrin bp packages

Edited by RiderX

I've never made red gum powder. Are you using the CIA method?

i found a place that sells 325 mesh potassium nitrate its a bit more expensive but i think im going to start buying it grinding and dbl checking it with the 100 mesh screen takes forever

The alcohol/red gum method produces hard durable grains very quickly, since the alcohol evaporates off quickly. It may, however, be difficult to keep the rice hulls damp with the red gum/alcohol solution, without them becoming a gooey mess. Are you planning on misting the hulls with only the alcohol (keeping the red gum powder in the screened bp mixture), or use the red gum disolved in the alcohol?

The alcohol/red gum method produces hard durable grains very quickly, since the alcohol evaporates off quickly. It may, however, be difficult to keep the rice hulls damp with the red gum/alcohol solution, without them becoming a gooey mess. Are you planning on misting the hulls with only the alcohol (keeping the red gum powder in the screened bp mixture), or use the red gum disolved in the alcohol?

when i make my bp i put the red gum int he alcohol , its only 3 grams of red gum per 10 ounces of meal so im not sure that screen mixing it in would be good enough

whats the chance i could just screen mix my bp and then use water/dextrin as usual to do the rice hulls

i guess it wouldnt hurt to try i do have a bunch of bp screen mixed waiting for me to granulate it today i would just wantto do a small batch of rice hulls to tst it so if it doesnt work i done waste a bunch of bp

Try some from Phil. It's tech grade milled to a very fine mesh.

http://ihaveadotcom.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72_119&products_id=571

With this and some quality airfloat charcoal you should be able to make a decent screen mixed powder and use Dextrin to bind it to your hulls.

Edited by OldMarine

what do u guy think about this potasium nitrate

http://www.highqualitychems.com/5-lb-potassium-nitrate-325-mesh-w-anti-cake/

it has anticake in it would it still work for bp? would it work better being 325 mesh instead of the basically 100 mesh that i do with the screened method

Anticaking is an extra chemical, so for all purposes it will degrade the performance a bit.

However, for normal BP it doesn't mean a thing. Hardly noticable at all.

Higher mesh is always better. The smaller particles your chemicals are, the better it can be mixed and the better it will burn.

I have done both the CIA-method, screen-mixing ballmilled chemicals and ballmilling everything together. And there is no doubt; ballmilling is so much better.

Try some from Phil. It's tech grade milled to a very fine mesh.

http://ihaveadotcom.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72_119&products_id=571

awesome thank you thats a nice price on it as well , would save alot of time not having to grind it

would this be fine enough i could use water and dextrin vs redgum and alcohol? if so ill wait till i pick some of this up and use it for coating rice hulls

Edited by RiderX

Here's some Paulownia airfloat that would work great.

https://fireworkscookbook.com/shop/charcoal-paulownia-airfloat/

Using that KNO3 and this charcoal along with Dextrin and sulfur which are already very fine should result in a better BP than what you are currently getting. Using water rather than alcohol should help get the KNO3 spread throughout the mix as well.

Edited by OldMarine
  • Like 1

Using that KNO3 and this charcoal along with Dextrin and sulfur which are already very fine should result in a better BP than what you are currently getting. Using water rather than alcohol should help get the KNO3 spread throughout the mix as well.

thank you , my next purchase was going to be the veline kit from skylighter , but i think ill pick this stuff up first and work from there

• 3 weeks later...

any other place to get this , they are sold out :(

Firebob on FW is actually the guy who processes the Paulownia. I'll find out when/if he'll be cooking/grinding again.
  • Like 1

Firebob on FW is actually the guy who processes the Paulownia. I'll find out when/if he'll be cooking/grinding again.

thank you

I buy it 10lbs at a time do I don't run out in the off season!

Edit: Sent a message to Chris at Fireworks Cookbook and he says he'll try to have some in by next week.

Edited by OldMarine

I buy it 10lbs at a time do I don't run out in the off season!

Edit: Sent a message to Chris at Fireworks Cookbook and he says he'll try to have some in by next week.

im not out yet i still have 3lb's from skylighter but i have some extra cash so i figured id pick up the better charcoal and some 325 mes potasium nitrate to make better bp with and save the stuff i got from skylighter to use for stars

If he doesn't come through soon let me know and I can probably put a care package of Paulownia and some Red Stem Willow together for you. I love both of those charcoals.

• Like 1

Just a quick tip. If you use the dextrin liquor method (dex dissolved in water) make what you need and don't store it long. It spoils and my gawd it stinks. Bout like sour milk. Didn't even try to save the spray bottle it was in.....

That said, the stuff does work. I've used it to bind prime on various rubber and n.c. bound stars with excellent results.

• Like 2

If he doesn't come through soon let me know and I can probably put a care package of Paulownia and some Red Stem Willow together for you. I love both of those charcoals.

that would be awesome if needed thank you

wow thats cheap

when i get a jar built for that big ball mill i got at work ill buy that, but for now im going to be gettin this stuff

Just mentioning that the first link is not a powder, it needs to be processed before it can be used. For some, this is not an issue and saves them money, for others, the time/equipment/mess is not worth the cost savings.