APC Forum

Advice needed on a chlorate cell

skippy32

Note: I'm new here so please don't go too hard on me if some of this stuff has been answered before! I tried to use the search feature but there is just way too much different information for me to handle.

I have been recently planning to setup a chlorate cell for electrolysis of potassium chloride to potassium chlorate, but I have found conflicting information and was wondering if anyone could give some pointers before I actually start construction of my cell.

I plan on using a standard 2-5 gallon plastic bucket made of HDPE polyethylene (for chemical resistance), and drilling 3 holes in the lid: 2 for cathode/anode, the last used for venting gases. The anode I plan to use is MMO mixed metal and the cathode would be a stainless steel rod. I plan to space the anode/cathode about 2-3 inches away from each other, and have them placed in in the center of the bucket lid.

Now from what I've seen online, it seems like most people prefer to use glassware as the storage container. Since polyethylene plastic is resistant to the chemicals used in this electrolytic process, would it be a good alternative? Also would appreciate if anyone can point out any possible design flaws.

Now here is where I get tripped up the most, the power supply.

It seems like its universally accepted that no more than 6V should be used for a chlorate cell without starting to risk anode/cathode corrosion damage over time.

Amperage / Current values however seem to be all over the place. I've seen some people use as low as 2 amps (cold cell) and up to 50 amps in some setups. I assume more amps = higher temps, so I probably wouldn't want to use too high temps especially around plastic right? Would 2 amps be good enough for my setup, or would I need more?

Your cell must run warm so that the reaction goes to chlorate completely. Lower temperatures only go to lower oxides of chlorine. SO either you heat the cell by current or heat the cell by external heaters. Your Stainless electrode will eventually fail, look out some titanium in 2mm or thicker -it lasts longer.

cPVC and PTFE are the best resistant case materials just behind that comes PVC. far behind that come PE ABS etc. Your polythene bucket will be disposable over a period of a month or two (but cheap!). Read the Bucket Cell thread started by Swede which has all the details.

Search this forum for; "The Bucket Cell - Start to Finish"

Also read; https://geocitieschloratesite.000webhostapp.com/

Edited by Arthur