APC Forum

Fixed sleeves

dangerousamateur

Hi guys,

what do you think of fixed sleeves? It seems people using this for inserts and stuff.

Would this also work for bigger things, like rocket motors?

Of course it would work, but you have to get the motor/spoletta/insert/ect. out of this thing.

So I put my metal pipe on some extraction sleeve and press out whats in there.

How does this work in reality?

It works fine, I do all my 5/8" rockets that way, have for years. DF's method of brass shimstock is great for larger rockets but I find it hard to use for 5/8" and smaller.

Now that I make 3lb rockets with a long spindle, I use 12" long tubes. This way, I can use the brass shim stock right out of the box without cutting it down. I just make a radius on the outer end of the roll. A 12" long 3lb tube support for 60 bucks, works for me.

The one I made for 1lb rockets is still in use after hundreds of rockets.

Dave is right, for 8oz. rockets, the brass shim stock is not the best way. So I just don't make that size;)

LOL! "So I just don't make that size;)"

The problem for me is getting the shim stock to not get in the way of me pressing the tube in. I mess that part up all the time and just got tired of it.

I just like the pipe idea, because it seems to make the least work.

The brass shim thing does not seem so easy to use.

dangerousamateur, in 1lb and 3lb sizes, my shim stock supports are faster to use than all other methods. I have used split PVC, split aluminum pipe, the clamshell type, and the collette type so far. I made a couple of videos showing the shim stock supports in use. They are the cheapest, take the highest pressing forces, and adjust to off-size tubes. Other than all that, they suck ;) I have nothing to sell, so I can be objective ;)