APC Forum

Making punk sticks

insutama

Does anyone know how to make a punk sort of device that just smolders slowly on a stick for testing out different comps or lighting fuse with ?

Punk sticks are basically just big incense sticks... Blend/hammer mill sawdust, add some KNO3 and Binder... Wet and extrude! Viola!

Well, it would be that simple if you had access to a hydraulic incense stick extruder... Which I do.

Edited by usapyro

if only i had one haha how could the average person with no extruder do this?

maybe with cotton string like black match but with a comp that burns super slow

Punk sticks are basically just big incense sticks... Blend/hammer mill sawdust, add some KNO3 and Binder... Wet and extrude! Viola!

Well, it would be that simple if you had access to a hydraulic incense stick extruder... Which I do.

can you post a pic of your extruder?

I wouldn't argue the point, because I can't find anything authoritative on the web about it... but I've always understood that 'stick punk' (the type with a fairly porous fibrous coating on a thin bamboo skewer) was coated by dipping, not extrusion.

They certainly look as if they've been dipped, similar to how sparklers are made.

FWIW, I have some Japanese extruded incense in 1/32" square by 4" long rods (amazingly thin... just slightly larger than 0.7mm mechanical pencil leads!), so I have a good sense of the texture and surface character of extruded incense. Viewed from that perspective, ordinary punks sure don't look extruded to me.

But since I cannot find a good description of how their made, I really can't argue the point... just offering a 'view'.

LLoyd

Hmmm, I never thought about punks. I have a bunch of fine Ash wood meal, I wounder if that would work?

You can purchase blank incense sticks for basically nothing. 1000 for $12 is one offer I sasw

If I were going to make something at home, a tube rammed with sawdust wetted with a little KNO3 and maybe a little dextrin or gum arabic would be my first choice. If you made a dough from it, you could likely roll out a worm and stick a skewer in it. I've seen some incense made this way. "Hand rolled incense" is not a euphemism in this case.

You might consider a piece of "rope fuse". It is basically 5/8" (?) thick cotton rope which burns or smolders very, very, very slowly. It's burn rate can be raised by a soaking in KNO3 solution, with a bit of dextrin (to stiffen it, if desired). In the past, I've gotten some from CannonFuse.com or PyroBoom.com, for very little. It's great for hand lighting at night, and you don't want the "light pollution" from a lighter or propane/butane torch.

Cotton clothesline rope soaked in a KNO3 solution and dried makes excellent slow match. A 1' long piece will burn about 45 minutes.

I cant for the life of me remember where i saw it, but, jute cloth, rolled tightly, and tied of with any natural fiber rope, makes for a good, long lasting punk. Just make a lot of single wrap ties around the darn thing, or it will unravel when the first strand burns of. We don't want that.

Ill stop by the warehouse later today and grab some punks, I am 90% certain that the larger ones ARE extruded, or perhaps pressed and extracted.

I cant for the life of me remember where i saw it, but, jute cloth, rolled tightly, and tied of with any natural fiber rope, makes for a good, long lasting punk. Just make a lot of single wrap ties around the darn thing, or it will unravel when the first strand burns of. We don't want that.

Hemp or Jute will smolder for days if boiled in a rich mix of water and KNO3 then dried. It works very well for lighting cannon fuses.

I cant seem to remember them treating the jute before hand, but rather just rolling it up to a solid "log" about an inch thick, and tying it of. Setting it on fire, blowing it out, and then using it for hand lighting hours on end was the intended workflow, and apparently they lasted long enough to be considered reusable.

But i still cant remember where it was, for the life of me. And i haven't tried it. So it may well be that one should soak it in a boiling, saturated KNO3 solution.