48 replies to this topic

#41 Baldor

Baldor

Pyromaniac

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:13 PM

Yep, Insutama. I was using ebay only as examples about what I was talking. I'm looking localy too, but the only want to sell me the full 6m bar. I need to learn to plead better. :-)

One place to look if you go the inox tube way, is at an aluminium windows workshop. (Sorry, i'm not sure of the right expresion in english)

#42 lloyd

lloyd

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:17 PM

Baldor,

So far as cost -- yeah, that's a 'factor'.  But consider that ONE good tool will last the rest of your pyro career.  Eh... 'one time expenses' (especially when this small) don't bother me nearly as much as recurring ones!

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"

#43 Baldor

Baldor

Pyromaniac

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:45 PM

Baldor, I agree with all you said.  I said "If _I_ were doing this...", not that what you suggested wouldn't work fine for most applications.

I don't intend to impose my ideas (improperly taken to be 'dictates'), but to suggest how and why I do things.  The end result depends upon a LOT of variables.  Your tubing suggestion should work fine.

Lloyd

Sorry if I sounded like I was criticising your suggestion, it was not my intention. There is a language barrier, English is not my first, not my second language, so some times I have some difficulties making others understand what i mean.

I had seen a suggestion from somebody a lot more experienced than me, and seen a great difference in price for what I perceived as a very little benefit, so I exposed the advantages and disadvantages I had seen, and asked, or tried to ask if I was missing something. I will always assume that I'm missing something, I lack a lot of experience in this field,  so please, don't take my (possibly not very well expressed) questions as critics.

#44 Baldor

Baldor

Pyromaniac

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:53 PM

Baldor,

So far as cost -- yeah, that's a 'factor'.  But consider that ONE good tool will last the rest of your pyro career.  Eh... 'one time expenses' (especially when this small) don't bother me nearly as much as recurring ones!

Lloyd

I agree, to a point. As I said, I'm retooling (If I can call that.... All the "old" tools are made from scrap, are less than two months old, not standard sizes,  and not suitable for a serious use. I was just wetting my feet, now I'm in for a serious dedication to this) , so if I can choose between two tools good enough for a lifetime, or one tool perfect for a lifetime, now my choose is good enough. In another moment, I'm with you, as long as we stay within reasonable prices. After more than ten years without touching a lathe, I ordered one small one, not a toy, but good enough for what I want (Not only pyro tooling), this is where all the savings from other tools and materials  are going.

#45 lloyd

lloyd

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:01 PM

Heh!  I couldn't LIVE without a lathe! (since 1972, I've always had one)

Good on you!

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"

#46 Baldor

Baldor

Pyromaniac

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:19 PM

A few tools made with the lathe and it's amortised, more if I must import them from USA. And I miss machining what I design, miss it a lot. As I said in another thread, I have more fun designing, building, testing ant optimising tools, than the actual act of launching the fireworks. So if I save a little here, and a little more there, I can purchase better tools for my lathe now.

Returning to the topic at hand... Some time along next week I should finish a prototype for a tube rolling machine. Focus is in the use of readily available materials and typical  power tools everyone can have easy access to, so it should work with big tolerances. Also, uniformity and reproductibility of the results.  If it's not an absolute disaster, I will make the plans available (Sorry, in metric) Plan is it should work for anything from 10mm ID to 35mm OD.

Edited by Baldor, 11 July 2017 - 02:20 PM.

• pyrokid likes this

#47 Col

Col

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:08 AM

Concentrate in getting a good mandrel. I said you can roll with anything with enough wax, but if you start with a good tool, all the process will be easier, and you only need to make the tool once. If you have an straight and polished mandrel, and if you wax it (solid wax, parafin, or maybe some ptfe dry lube spray) , you can apply glue from the first turn, and still remove the tube. You can even get away with glue in the mandrel, depending what kind of glue you are using.

I'm using simple 12mm steel tube, not calibrated, always clean, oiled when not in use, and use a little very fine sandpaper when I see some imperfection. Whit this tool I didn´t have a single delaminated tube. Next ones will need to be turned, since 15 and 19mm (seems are standars sizes for rocket tubes in Europe) are not standard stock. (But perfect for make god mandrels from 16 and 20mm stock)

Try ptfe rod turned 0.1mm oversize, nothing sticks to it

#48 AllisterF

AllisterF

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:52 PM

I know this thread is older, but for those in the US and Canada that are looking for short lengths of raw materials and can't find them locally, check out Grainger (Acklands Grainger in Canada) and see if there is a local branch by you that you can pickup from...  They will generally ship whatever you order free to your branch of choice for will call pickup, it can save you a bundle on shipping vs other online sources...

#49 Col

Col

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:52 PM

Tube rolling mandrels are a one time purchase so its worth spending a little extra having them turned to the perfect size (slightly oversized), nice and straight with no scratches or dings.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users