APC Forum

Safety reminder

starxplor

I previously mentioned I work IT in a radiology department. The radiologists all know I am 'into fireworks' and so they like to save the cases of firework related injuries to show me.

Last night, they showed me two. First was a guy who looks like he was hit by a projectile, broken wrist and shattered a few ribs on one side with the usual lung and fluid problems that come with such a hit. My guess is a rocket went sideways and he tried to block it.

Second, a guy was holding something big, not sure what. In the image of what was left of his hand, he had multiple missing finger bones on various fingers, and the bones that were left, instead of protruding from his wrist, were hanging down along next to his forearm. The radiologist described it as "like a peeled banana". Yes, it ended up amputated.

This is meant as a reminder to keep your mind on safety while enjoying this best of holidays (to me at least), whether you are lighting a city show or a backyard party.

I also make it a point of reminding non-pyros who only pick up a few things for this week to have fun AND be safe. The fewer injuries out there, the less of a hard time we all get.

• Like 2