APC Forum

Good price for stainless steel media?

usapyro

Searching for a good source for 3/8" stainless steel media. Not exactly liking the prices I'm seeing on google. I need to be able to mill down charcoal without massive lead contamination. $9.95 for 25 balls, lol...

Anyone know if it's better to go with larger media with stainless steel due to the reduced weight vs lead?

Edited by usapyro

Big media is only useful if you have large lumps going into the mill. Have you a local supplier of ball bearings? Maybe they could supply you with "loose balls" of a suitable size, Maybe they will have hard steel but not stainless, but if it's only for charcoal then hard steel will be fine for years.

Big media is only useful if you have large lumps going into the mill. Have you a local supplier of ball bearings? Maybe they could supply you with "loose balls" of a suitable size, Maybe they will have hard steel but not stainless, but if it's only for charcoal then hard steel will be fine for years.

Would a metal machine shop or a mechanic carry it? Where exactly could you source it locally?

Also, I wonder if "Chrome" stainless steel is better than 304...

Will also be using it to reduce KNO3 to a ultra-fine powder.

Edited by usapyro

I don't know why you would keep looking after being provided the link to Woodys? It's 304 stainless steel and will last forever without corroding. I don't think you'll get a better price or service. I've used stainless steel of various sizes to mill charcoal, potassium nitrate, and -yes- black powder. You can mill 10 mesh willow charcoal to impalpable powder with media as small as 5/16", and make excellent black powder with it. Separating those tiny 'peas' is a different story ;)

I don't know why you would keep looking after being provided the link to Woodys? It's 304 stainless steel and will last forever without corroding. I don't think you'll get a better price or service. I've used stainless steel of various sizes to mill charcoal, potassium nitrate, and -yes- black powder. You can mill 10 mesh willow charcoal to impalpable powder with media as small as 5/16", and make excellent black powder with it. Separating those tiny 'peas' is a different story ;)

Yea, I don't think so either... Will likely order from there, but a local source would be nice... Could get them within a day. Ace definitely doesn't work. 43 cents a ball bearing, lol...

VXB.com has Carbon Steel for $5.77 per 100.

http://www.vxb.com/100-3-8-inch-Diameter-Carbon-Steel-Balls-G40-p/kit16348.htm

I keep stuff dry, but never know... Might get rusty balls. Probably best to go with the woodys stuff.

Edited by usapyro

Hey man!

I got plenty of that 3/8 stuff. It's pretty well a couple bucks per lb cheaper than anyone else I have seen. I ONLY had to order 800lbs from across the sea to get it that low. :)

It's here and can ship tomorrow. usps priority.

Always here to help,

Caleb

417-443-0275